Colt Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
The only "proof" of legitimacy is photographic or video evidence of the finding and removing of the gun from the casket. Without that, it is just a fanciful tale.

Although...I heard that Neil Armstrong was packing on the moon and the Detective Special is buried with him.

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
I understand that the grave was being moved because of a project to widen a highway.
Too bad they don't have a law against tall tales.

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Too bad they don't have a law against tall tales.
This maybe should be a called a "disconnected story". A gun is known for 30+ years, then someone comes along and says "That is the gun owned by King Fisher, as found in his casket 30+ years ago "! Seems hard to believe to me.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Reactions: victorio1sw

·
Registered
480 Posts
As a Texan, all I can tell you is that King Fisher was a hell of a man and this story is a hell of a story, I can’t believe that pistol came out of his coffin. Do you think King Fisher would want all them revolvers relegated to the trash heap along with his earthly remains. I think not. Hell boys 40 years ago was 1982. I ain’t by buying it but I damn sure appreciate a good “story”.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, what a couple of B.S.r's & I know a little bit about the country they are talking about as I lived in the adjoining county, Frio County and I just finished selling weapons that belonged to the 1st Sheriff of Frio County in Pearsall to the bank in Persall & is in their history room of the bank. The Sheriff was interviewed a few years before he died in Frontier times magazine & can be verified. JCB Harkness was asked several times about his encounter w/ outlaws in his tenure, but wouldn't talk about his arrests & only said he had arrested white, Mexican & Indian outlaws(he was elected to 3 terms but not consecutive terms) w/ the first term in1876. He would not say but when ask if he had met King Fisher he would only say, he had met the man. Now King Fisher on occasion would enforce the law but not very often, Have been collecting firearms since 1967 & I have kept up on prices and can tell you $1000.00 was not even in the ballpark if it were what they said it was in 1980. Bigfoot Texas they mentioned is in Frio county and was named after Bigfoot Wallace, famous TX Ranger & a close friend of Harkness and if what he said about a store in that town, it was almost a ghost town when we left Tx. in 1987. As has been previously stated, that firearm was not in the coffin w/ Kingfisher until 1950. Weapons do not fair well w/ a decomposing body, & humidity. I don't know where those 2 guys get their stories but that is a really tall TX tale. Anyone who buys a gun w/ a story is only buying the story. Unless you have documented proof, no gun savvy collector is going to give you the time of day. I will put up the weapons that belonged to the sheriff of Frio County and the life story of the sheriff would make a great movie beginning w/ his service in the CSA infantry, his early days a cowboy for TX John Slaughter before he became sheriff.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Purportedly, this is one of the three guns found in the coffin of the legendary Texas gunman John King Fisher. I'll let you people watch the video and pass judgment, but I cannot help believing that a living relative of Fisher hasn't contacted a lawyer about legal ownership rights on this matter as there are/were three guns and are surely worth Big $$.

P.S. I did a search and saw no previous threads on this, but if I missed one forgive me. :whistle:
As has been said, buy the gun not the story.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts