Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aw, crap ... and I was SO enjoying this .357 Colt I just got a few weeks ago. I guess I noticed it earlier but I was hoping it just needed oil or my ammunition was faulty or something ... When I raise the gun, as if firing, and it's tipped barrel up, about 45 degrees or more, a bullet casing almost invariably jams itself against a metal finger at the bottom of the slot where the cylinder advance pawl reaches out. It's like there's a sliver of steel,"grown," there. It doesn't do it always, but more often than not. I thought maybe it was cheapie ammo, but it does the same with cheapies or Winchesters, 38 or 357. So, ... will it live? Have I bought a great-shooting turd? Do I need to switch to the Ruger forum!?!? Take up archery? What the &%#&? Over?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Send it to me RC and I will return it in say, 10 years. Seriously though it sounds like you are describing a "burr or peened" area at the bottom of the hand window. An easy fix for a smith or factory. I would caution that if you do know how to do it, don't! If you try to file the area you just make the window larger and that is not a good thing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew! Thanks, Albert. I guess I look at my guns, still, like I need to, "pass inspection," with it. As long as I don't elevate the barrel - no problem. I had neurotic fears of being fired on from a second floor or some such and raising the gun and, "Umf, umf ... Damn!" And those being my last words on this earth. Gunsmiths in southwest Kansas? I know of one that I wouldn' take my lawnmower to. Another that was worse, but he's gone on to the great armory in the sky and won't screw up any guns for anyone anymore. (He once absolutely ruined the best Python in the universe for me! That 4" blue had the BEST trigger! But that's another story.) Here, at least, gunsmiths are like barbers - there's not many left, good OR bad. Ha! there's not many PEOPLE, period! I'm sure there's GOT to be one or two in Wichita but that's a two-and-a-half hour drive through the territory where the, "hoot owls mate with the coyotes!" I'll get it taken care of, sometime, somewhere. Thanks for the info. (It isn't CATCHING, is it?) Thought for awhile I'd do like Mark Twain once suggested and swap it for a dog and shoot the dog. (As long as the dog wasn't looking DOWN on me at the time!) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Shear:
Send it to me RC and I will return it in say, 10 years. Seriously though it sounds like you are describing a "burr or peened" area at the bottom of the hand window. An easy fix for a smith or factory. I would caution that if you do know how to do it, don't! If you try to file the area you just make the window larger and that is not a good thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts