Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Colt fanatics. On vacation this week with my wife, staying at her son's apartment.

Yesterday we went to the Nacional Museum de Armes - a collection of arms and armor, some dating back to the 1200s. Mixed throughout the collection were various Colts including a pair of SAAs, many 1911s, an M16, a water cooled .50 machine gun on an Anti-aircraft mount, and a 1903 pocket .32. One really neat Colt I saw was the Colt Model designated B-80, version policial de BAR, aKA THE MONITOR.

I don't have any way to edit and post photos you will have to wait til I return on Sunday.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Buenos Aires...My Brother was stationed at the US Embassy there...Sgt. Marine Guard. I remember the day he flew back to the states with his Argentinean bride, complained about the the guy on the plane wearing sandals and playing the mandolin all the way back to LAX.

When I met him coming out of customs he was still complaining..Then I saw an old acquittance wearing sandals and carrying his Mandolin. We hadn't spoke in years since I stopped dating his Cousin in High School. We caught up on my Law Enforcement career, family on both sides including his cousin, and the old party days around the South-land of Los Angeles Beaches....My Brother was standing there with his mouth open, looked like a Venus fly trap, he is 8 years younger than I...So I introduced the two..."Bro this here is Mike Love, Mike, this my my Brother David."

Yes the same Love, "Help Me Rhonda", "Surfin' Safari", "Be True To Your School"...Mike Love...

Never got a chance to go to Argentina...But I did drink a lot of Pepsi and Coke in a garage in Hawthorne California. ;)

Sure wish they had done a song about Colt's !:confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Museo Nacional de Armas is very much worth seeing, as is the Air Force Museum, which has the only surviving Curtis Hawk 75M that I know about (there may be another one in Thailand). Fuerzas Aerias Argentinas used them for many years and in several revolutions.

The modern Argentine arms industries were mainly started by Spanish engineers, and used Spanish, Italian, German, and US designs for many years. Later they seemed to lean on Belgian FN designs (like just about everyone else in the Spanish speaking world).

Did you bring back a facon?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike - between my wife and I w picked up 4 knives so far, a BBQ Set (knife and fork), a facon, handmade folder, and a gift knife from the maker, big enough for the kitchen but in the style of a facon.

I can't transfer photos from my camera to my tablet so photos will have to wait till I get home Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I do love those facones, especially the working ones that aren't a mass of silver. Wonder if there are still country blacksmiths that make them from jeep springs? Mine's got a big silver concho for a guard and a cow horn for a handle. But you can get it shaving sharp with a plain butcher's steel.

I've seen old ones that were made in Solingen, too. Also very nice.

Planning a trip back to BA and then by car or train over to the grape harvest. Probably going to wait a year until my son is out of the Marines.

·
Registered
222 Posts
First of all, I want to tell Kid how much I enjoyed that story. It's one of the best I've read on any gun/hunting site. That early Southern California teen experience with the music, the fast cars, the beach girls, the surfing, that came before the "cultural revolution" set in was of great appeal to many of us in other parts of the country. Btw, speaking of which, "Endless Summer" was on the tube the other night. Still entertaining to watch after all these years, and like a "time capsule" of sorts.

And, to CWO, I've been wanting to see Argentina myself. Also Uruguay. It'd be partly to see the countries, but more to take part in hunting there. Both are world famous for bird hunting, as I'm sure you know. They can actually go thru a 1,000 rounds a day. There's that much shooting to be done...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts