Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11,116 Posts
I believe the Mershons were late -'40's.

The Pachmayrs came later.

Smith & Wesson also had a propritary grip adapter in the '40's - somewhat smaller and not as long - they're rare.

It's not the 'S&W' marked plastic one.

· Registered
11,116 Posts
Yeah, 6 Actual works, too, as does 'Six'... (it had a wonderful tendency to immediately focus the attentions of the junior Officer/NCO at the other end of the handset...)

The Mershons are/were essentially identical to the Pachmayrs, but I think Pachmayr improved the metal clip later in time.

Pachmayr also contracted the 'S&W'-marked versions for the N, K and J frames - the J framed version not being quite as common as one might think.

Most of the revolvers I've run across seemed to have Tylers.

I always liked the grip adapter idea - installed, the weapon's carry size is the same, while the custom wood stocks, or the wrap-around rubbers made the piece larger - not the best of ideas when you're carrying concealed, plus, the rubber versions want to 'catch' on the coat fabric - further illuminating the fact that you're strapped.

Now, if you're truly nostalgic about your older cop/gumshoe stuff - you 'need' a Mershon, and probably a Clark 'Sheriff' holster to complete that LAPD Robbery Homicide look.(cue 'Harlem Nocturne' and the rising cigarette smoke, with the crushed-out Camels in the ashtray next to the empty shot glass and lipstick-stained napkin...)

· Registered
11,116 Posts
It boils down to practice with the piece, and I always found that the Tylers and Mershon/Pachmayrs made the Detective Special and Model 10 snub-nose ergonomic.

Incidentally, they made the GI issue Detective Special comfortable, as well - they're shown in the 1960-dated version of the Army's FM 23-35/AFM 50-17 'Pistols and Revolvers'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.