Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we still learn to shoot revolvers with two different grips? (Thumb alongside frame for single and down on the logo disk for 2X?) Is the pinky-finger still supposed to, "go along for the ride," exerting no pressure anywhere? I'm asking to see if there's a new way of looking at this because I've got, "which grips are best," disease, bad. I like the issue target stocks but they block ejection. The small, service-stocks give me the best feel of the frame but I keep winding my pinky around the bottom of the frame/grip. (I get best feel of the trigger with these but the gun gets a lot of side-to-side play and it jumps the worst with magnum loads.) The thumb-rests work very well on the range but they SURE block ejection and make left hand shooting harder than it should be. The Hogue's seem to do everything I want but, ... they look too Glock-ish to suit me! What should I do!? (I know, buy a Government .45 and sleep well - thanks alot, Pal!) Over?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Years ago, when I used a revolver for formal target shooting, Herrett thumbrest grips with a bulky bottom were the norm. They were a big help in slow fire bullyeye shooting.

However, they were terrible for double action shooting, not convenient in a holster, and restricted to target shooting, ONLY.

Since then, bullseye shooting has declined, combat, PPC, and cowboy shooting have grown. Also, almost all bullseye shooters moved to semi-autos.

I find the best compromise for my DA revolvers are the Herrett's Detective Model -- slightly bigger than factory stocks, but well suited to holster and speed-loaders.

·
Registered
162 Posts
take a look at the Siles grips over at CDNN. They are so inexensive that you can afford to buy several different styles just to see what fits you best. Once you know what will work for you, you can start putting the money away for a set of Nils or Spegels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts