Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pair of what appear to be an original set Fuzzy Farrant grips on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3649816631&category=39425

Farrant was an LAPD officer who made grips on the side.
Although Odd looking, the owners of his grips swear they are the best feeling revolver grips ever made.

The only reason they weren't more widely used, was the lower front "corner" of the revolver's frame had to be cut off, due to the reduced diameter of the lower grip.

Original Farrant's are collectible.
If these are a set of Farrant's, they may go for a cheap price.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dfariswheel, weren't the standard factory checkered Python and Diamondback stocks designed by Farrant? Seems to me I read that someplace,

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never heard that one.

I'd kind of doubt it, considering they look nothing like anything Farrant ever designed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks, I think, dfariswheel!

I've wanted a set of Farrant grips since reading about them in "Cooper on Handguns" in the early 70's, and I won these at a very good price. I wish they were for a S&W, since I don't have a Colt I'm willing to grind down the corner of the frontstrap of at the moment. Guess I'll keep my eye out for an 80-85% OP to fit these grips to!

Thanks again, Bob

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well, I finally got them - the back & forth to Canada took awhile. They're not marked inside, but they sure look like unused originals. If not, somebody went to a lot of trouble to copy them for $10.00. They feel great. Sure wish they were for a K frame S&W though; I already have a couple of those I wouldn't mind filing on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do any of you guys have any idea who might have made these grips. They fit a K frame S&W. They have palm swells on both panels and are quite thin.

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Bullet Bob:
Well, I finally got them - the back & forth to Canada took awhile. They're not marked inside, but they sure look like unused originals

BB,

Congratulations on a great find. Yours look identical to a pair I ordered from Fuzzy in the '70s - at least from the backstrap view. (I ordered mine without the clipped front feature that is his characteristic.) The wood, the checkering, and the border appear identical. Mine were also unmarked inside; the only reference to Fuzzy was on the box! I've shot models with and without the clipped front corner and the ground-off frame did seem to be an improvement. The only criticism I ever had with these is that with high-recoil loads (K-frame .357 or N-frame .44s) the sharp checkering tended to abrade my delicate, little-girl-like hands! With 'reasonable' loads, they were great.

None of mine were acquired for $10, either.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randy:

You're grips look very similar to grips made by Bill Rogers, and early grips made by Hogue.

Could be anybody, however, since that style has been copied by many makers since the mid-60's.

Key identifying features might be the positioning pads on the inside, and the odd, asymmetric checkering pattern. These are NOT common features, so hopefully somebody will recognize them.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 02-03-2004).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts