Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when Colt stopped "Stamping" the serial number of the revolver inside the grips. Was this just a "D" frame occurance or was it universal with Colt? Thanks.......Henri

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Henri,no idea when,but of course the earlier(pre 1928 or so,)were not "stamped",nor were the later plastic,"Coltwood". I collect New Services(among other types) and the later ones with the wooden stocks have some written in pencil and some "stamped",especially those from the mid to late 30's. Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My 2 OMTs (from the 30s and 40s) don't have the numbers on them, but I have seen a few with them penciled in.

·
Registered
909 Posts
A good question which deserves some research. I think the practice of numbering the stocks ended after WW2, but we will have to dig out some samples to check. The old style hard rubbers (pre 1923) had the serial scratched inside, from 1923 to the post-war Coltwood, it was penciled inside the walnut. I don't remember seeing any that were stamped (but my memory fades in and out!).

Dig 'em out guys...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again guys, a very perplexing subject. I have early 1900 - 1928 with penciled or scratched numbers inside the grips. Later on in the thirties I have Colt "D" frames that have the numbers stamped inside the grips. Coltwoods (plastic) have no numbers addes as far as I can tell.....Thanks for the Info.......Henri

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:
Does anyone know when Colt stopped "Stamping" the serial number of the revolver inside the grips. Was this just a "D" frame occurance or was it universal with Colt? Thanks.......Henri <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My recently acquired Colt DS had 59 written in red pencil inside both grips.. Wonder what that was all about? The numbers do not match the serial number of the pistol. Just curious..

Thanks.

------------------
"Laus Deo"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts