Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my understanding that the grip frame and trigger guard from an 1860 Army will fit a SAA.
After building thousands of the 1860 Army and Navy Models, why did Colt change the grip design?
I have bigger hands and handling both my 1860 and my SAA's I fine the fit and hold on the 1860 to feel a lot more comfortable and I can get more fingers wrapped around it than todays SAA's.
History of the design?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The "why" is a good question. I've little experience with the Colt cap-and-ball revolvers, but I found the Ruger Super Blackhawk grip best suited to me for using heavy handloads at magnum performance.

I did notice, however, that the standard Blackhawk grip better suited for faster pointing and quick shots. Maybe that's the reason. This just my own observation from my experience.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Quite simply, the grip of the 1851 Navy fit most folks.

You have to remember the time frame.

Folks back then weren't built on the 'grand scale' of folks today.

By WWI, after a few generations of increasingly better nutrition than our ancestors had, the average size of the American soldier serving in the AEF was 5'6" and 156 pounds.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
What "dogface6" stated is correct about the size of peoples hand today compared with 165 + years ago. I agree the 1851 and 1860 Colt fitsd my hand perfectly due to my short fingers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.