Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been posted but I failed to find it in a search. Can I use a Trooper Mark V grip on a Python?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
No.
The Trooper Mark V, King Cobra, and Anaconda grips are the same grip and interchange.

The Mark V and Python are totally different frames, and the grips aren't even close.

The Trooper Mark III grips fit ONLY the Mark III series.

·
Registered
806 Posts
dfariswheel, The backs of the grips, top inside are straight on the later ones, I take it those are the Trooper V ??Is that the same as the 'Lawman'
The others rounded at the top , just fuller in the frame, from the E-I to the 'other' one (later Trooper)??
I have people ask me often ,but I do NOT see enough of them to make a 'snap' determination.

------------------
Dan

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
The Trooper Mark III and the Mark V are straight.

HOWEVER, the lower frame area is different on the Mark III and the Mark V.
Mark series grips do not interchange.

Mark III grips fit ONLY mark III guns.
Mark V grips fit the Mark V, the Peacekeeper, and the King Cobra.

Here's a Mark III grip inside:

The Mark V looks the same only the lower part is rounded off to fit the rounded grips frame of the Mark V.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's what I thought and seemed to remember seeing before, thanks for the great picture!

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
806 Posts
dfariswheel, Some time back I had asked you about the squared off inside of the grips and you showed a picture of the MK III and said the MKV were similar but rounded.Then which are these?...................................

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Those are for the Trooper Mark III.

The pictured pair have had the checkering sanded off.
Here' a pair in factory-original condition:

Here's a pair of the late production version with the round bottom. The gun's steel grip is still the square butt Mark III type, only the wooden grip is rounded:

On the Trooper Mark V/King Cobra/Anaconda, the guns steel grip frame is a true round butt design.
In the above picture of the interior of the Mark III grips, the slightly rounded areas at the bottom of the grips are just clearance cuts to make it easier to fit the grip to the sharp cornered steel grip frame.

Here's a pair of wooden Colt Trooper Mark V/King Cobra/Anaconda grips:

Note that these may well be the ugliest grip design Colt ever put on a revolver.

Inside, the inletting is much more rounded to fit the steel grip frame of the later Mark V/King Cobra/Anaconda.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a related question about "grips".
Is the number on the inside of the grip always there and is it the same as the serial #.

Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
No to both.

In the old days, mostly pre-WWII, Colt actually put the grips on the frame during polishing so they'd be a perfect fit all around.

In order to keep the grips together and with the correct frame, they penciled an assembly number on the inside.
This was NOT the serial number.

After WWII, Colt first stopped polishing the frame with the grips, then stopped individually fitting the grips to the frame at all.
Since the grips were no longer fitted, they stopped putting assembly numbers inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts