Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did JMB add a grip safety? I remember reading somewhere about the GS being added upon request from the bureaucrats. Is that true?
Thanks
Vit

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
The grip safety was added at the request of Cavalry officers.

In those days, development of new arms was assigned to the service who was the primary user of that type arm.

Rifle development was done by the Infantry Board, since the primary user of rifles was the Infantry.
They developed a new rifle, and saw that a carbine version was developed for the Cavalry and Artillery.

Since the biggest users of pistols were the Cavalry, the development of new pistols was with the Cavalry Board.

The Cavalry would develop the new pistol to suit their needs, and they would insure that the Infantry, Artillery and the Navy would be able to use the gun too.

Back in those days, the automatic pistol was very new technology, and no one really knew just how they should be set up and how they were to be used.

The Cavalry wanted an extra, automatic safety in case a trooper fumbled the pistol while managing a misbehaving horse, or while in the heat of a cavalry charge and battle.

They thought a grip safety would meet the need, and asked Browning to incorporate one in the new pistol.

There were a number of features of the early 1911 pistol that were asked for by the Cavalry Board, including the grip safety, the extra long 1911 hammer, and the very early rounded rear sight.

The long hammer and the seldom seen today, early rounded rear sight were to allow a trooper to cock the gun by shoving it down the pants leg or down the saddle.

The round rear sight quickly disappeared early on, but the grip safety remained.

To note: The Cavalry Board was composed of seasoned Cavalry officers, not bureaucrats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about 1907, 1909 and 1910? Did those even have thumb safety or was it grip safety only?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The reference material I have shows all three models having grip safetys on guns produced for the military. The 1907, 1909, 1910, and some of the 1905's.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
I went by what I found in the first reference I came across, Haven and Belden's "A History of the Colt Revolver, 1836 To 1940".

It says the Model 1902 and 1905 "Had no manual safety at all".

I am NOT an expert on early Colt autos, so I'm simply not sure about this.

DON'T POST when you're tired, you screw up and give wrong info.

Sorry for the mis-information

1 - 8 of 8 Posts