Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( TO ALL WHO HAVE GRIPS WITH ME TO BE WORKED ON....I JUST GOT SELECTED FOR JURY DUTY...9AM TO 5PM DAILY.....SO GRIP WORK WILL BE DELAYED FOR A WEEK OR TWO.....SORRY:bang_wall:

·
Registered
265 Posts
You obviously did not ask enough questions! And now my Luger is going to be cold for a longer period of time!

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
If it comes up and you give even the slightest indication you know anything about guns...the defense attorney will not pick you.

·
Premium Member
21,041 Posts
Amen to MarkinTx's comment. On my last jury duty call concerning an "accidental" shooting with a single barrel shotgun, the first question the defense attorney asked was,
"How many of you own a gun." My hand went up along with about 5 others and we were all immediately dismissed. I have been on a few juries and the system leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't know of a better system.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just got mine back. Looks like I lucked out! Very nice job on both pair of grips I sent him. I wished I would have taken before and after pictures.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it comes up and you give even the slightest indication you know anything about guns...the defense attorney will not pick you.
That happened to me about 15 yrs ago when I got called for a murder trial!

I guess I got all the questions right this time as I was the first juror picked!

Reactions: Collects

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
During Voir dire you should have told them you absolutely believe in giving guilty defendants a fair trial before they hang them!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE! Trial is over and I can discuss it since the results have been published in the local paper:

"JURY DELIBERATES 5 MINUTES IN SEXUAL ASSAULT CASE"

LIBERTY...On September 19, 2013, Demetrius Donielle Jackson, 43, was sentenced to 99 years in prison in the 253rd District Court by the Honorable Chap B. Cain III. Jackson was found guilty after five minutes of jury deliberations. A jury was selected Sept. 16 and the trial began the next day.

The evidence presented by District Attorney Logan Pickett and Assistant District Attorney Joe Warren showed that Jackson sexually assaulted the 61 year old victim on Dec. 20, 2012, and attempted to sexually assault her 82 year old neighbor in the same small neighborhood in Cleveland on Christmas Eve. The defense attempted to discredit the DNA evidence throughout the trial. Jackson took the stand in his own defense and claimed the sexual assault was consensual and that he was not the same person who attacked the 82 year old. Obviously, the jury gave no credence to Jackson's account and quickly found him guilty of the horrendous crime.

After the verdict was read, sentencing began with Judge Cain deciding the punishment to be assessed. The State showed the Jackson had been convicted of numerous felony offenses over the last 20 plus years. Judge Cain, in pronouncing his sentence, made it clear that he felt Jackson was a predator and that as the Presiding Judge he had a duty to protect society from people like him."

Personal notes....This idiot raped an elderly woman in an duplex housing complex for the elderly, and 5 days later tried to rape her neighbor on Christmas eve! Her next door neighbor heard "thumping sounds" next door at around 11 am and went to investigate. When Jackson saw him looking thru the glass front door, he ran out the back door. The neighbor ran back to his apartment, grabbed his pistol, and ran around to the side of the duplex. When he saw Jackson he yelled for him to "hit the dirt", and when he didn't he fired a shot at him, unfortunately missing. But Jackson did lay face down on the ground at this time. The victim had dialed 911, and the police were on the scene within five minutes.

At this time, the police had no leads as to who the perpetrator was in the rape case on the 20th. But this Mensa candidate attempted to do the same thing, in the same place, just 4 days later!!!
:mad: After comparing Jackson's DNA with evidence from the rape case they got a match. The whole defense was based on trying to dis-credit the chain of evidence and the results of the DNA test. He didn't have a chance. The defense attorney told us later that Jackson blew his whole defense when he demanded to take the stand at the last minute. While on the stand Jackson claimed that all of the law enforcement personnel and witnesses including the victims that had testified were lying and "out to get him".
After Jackson took the stand, the defense attorney didn't even bother with a final summation to the jury!
WELL.....they weren't lying, but they did get him!!!!
:)

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
If you indicate any knowledge about anything involved with the subject, it's almost automatic dismissal. Then you sit around to answer the selection questions about the next trial a jury is being formed for.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My limited experience with the jury selection process has been that neither the prosecution nor the defense will pick a candidate juror who demonstrates having the slightest indication of intelligence.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Swamprat, thanks for serving on a jury, doing your extremely important civic duty. Without honest jurors, our system of law would fall apart.

I would really enjoy sitting on a jury, to see a different perspective of the justice system. Normally, I am counsel, advocating for one side or another in civil disputes.

However, one or the other side would toss me out of the jury pool, because it would probably be tough to trick an old dog of a trial lawyer with trial lawyer tricks.

I consider you lucky to get such an experience, and a very good man for not shying away from your civic responsibility.

I LIKE smart people on my juries.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My limited experience with the jury selection process has been that neither the prosecution nor the defense will pick a candidate juror who demonstrates having the slightest indication of intelligence.
:pThanks a bunch!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: CSM

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What I do is take a #2 pencil and a piece of string. I tie the string just below the eraser, every time I look at the defendant I swing the pencil from my finger, never fails to get me dismissed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts