Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everone. I recently inherited a Colt Office Police from my father. It's got a six inch barrel and bright blue finish. Unfortunately, it's got replacement rubber Aimpoint grips. I'd like to replace these with the original Colt grips to get back to original condition. The serial number is 7434XX, which I believe to be 1948 manufacture.

I'm confused about which grips were original to this piece. I understand they should be the plastic "Coltwood," and that wood grips were installed starting only in the early 50s.

Please see images of the grips that I have found as possibilities. Are any of these (Grips 1, 2, or 3) the correct set? Would someone please mind advising me?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The grips in your picture will fit but are all too old. Here is a pic of my 6" NIB 1948 Official Police (Serial Number 745xxx). The "Coltwood" plastic grips are a reddish-brown color:

IMG_4787.JPG

Reactions: ColtPlinkerton

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grips in your picture will fit but are all too old. Here is a pic of my 6" NIB 1948 Official Police (Serial Number 745xxx). The "Coltwood" plastic grips are a reddish-brown color:

View attachment 426466
Thank you for your response and image of your amazing NIB piece. You advice is greatly appreciated. Now I just have to find a set. Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mark, I may have a set of grips that you can have (no cost) but I need to check and see which type they are. I can't recall if they are the mottled color like Snakeman posted, or if they are a solid chocolate-brown, which I believe was a 50's-60's color. Give me a couple of days to check. I took them off of a 1933 Official Police as they weren't correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts