Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "long" frame Colt Detective Special made in 1964. I always loved the way it shot at the range, but HATED the way it carried IWB, because the stock grips have razor sharp checkering. So my all around carry gun has been a S&W 340 PD. Never really warmed up to the PD. Too light, not especially accurate, but I used it because it was easy to carry. Well. Recently discovered a full length, deep crack on the S&W where barrel screws into the frame. I'll get it fixed (and maybe sell it). But now I'm done with the S&W and determined to make the Colt my everyday carry. Obviously, I don't want to simply sand down the sharp checkered stock grips. OK, so who sells good grips for a "long" frame DS? I'm willing to pay for a really nicely done set of smooth grips. I'm thinking of making a truly classy carry piece. Would consider exotic woods. Even bone or tusk. But goal is high quality, combined with day-to-day practicality. Who should I contact?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gunbroker usually has some in different materials. I have a set of smooth elk stag and a Tyler T Grip on my '65 Cobra. They were made by Ken Driskill. Google him. He makes some nice ones.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,880 Posts
Here's some places that do, or probably do sell grips for the old long frame models. You'll probably have to contact them to find out availability and custom work.

Pre 1966 D- Frame "Long, Round B |Pre 1966 D- Frame "Long, Round Butt" Colt Revolver Grips Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips

Gun stocks by Herrett's Stocks, Inc.
(Old line company, you send them a tracing of your hand and they custom fit the grip to you).

Custom Pistol Grips and Kits - CollinsCraftGrips

Elen Hunting & Importing Inc.: Stag Grips - Ivory Grips - Pearl Grips
If you have the money...........

Nutmeg Sports, LLC
Again, bring a loaded wallet.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Stag makes a nice material for stocks because it is durable, and it looks great on most guns. The downside is it is heavier than wood.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your cracked frame S&W is N O T repairable.
If new enough it will be replaced by the factory under the lifetime 'warranty'
Contact them for their input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts