Colt Forum banner

Grips for ".357 Magnum" model revolver

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Nframe_is_no1 
#1 ·
Grips for \".357 Magnum\" model revolver

Greetings to all. My apologies for the screenname which betrays my origins over at the S&W forum! I purchased a Colt ".357 Magnum" model revolver a couple of years ago from a dealer friend of mine. The gun has at least 95% blue, and is a 4". Its serial number of 63xx dates it to 1954. It was missing its original grips, and came with Pacmeyers. While the Pacmeyers are functional, I've been wanting to find a set of original grips for some time. I know that the target stocks they put on it were the same ones they used for the Officer's Models and Pythons of the time. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a set, and how much they are going for? Any info would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Re: Grips for \".357 Magnum\" model revolver

There were 2 grip options for the .357 Magnum model. Standard,on the 4",were regular,non target stocks,like the Official Police. The "Target Stocks" were an option,as were the wider spur hammer(at least this is what the 1954-55 Colt Catalog says). The correct target stocks are FULLY CHECKERED,not with a "smooth"area near the medallions,as on later Pythons. Let me check,as my 4" .357 model,now wears regular stocks & a grip adapter,as it is one of my carry guns & conceals better. I may still have some fully checkered targets from it. Got to find em though! Bud

#3 ·

Bud,
Thank you for checking! If you do find them, let me know if you don't want them anymore. Maybe we can strike some sort of deal. Thanks again!
Paul

[This message has been edited by Nframe_is_no1 (edited 03-07-2004).]

#5 ·

N Frame; Go to eBay,and search for #3665070943. These are the fully checkered Colt grips,and these are Too new for your .357,as they have have Gold Medallions. You want the silver ones. dfaris is correct,but Anything that has to do with a Python is inflated. Sorta like a Hubcap for a Caddy. I will let ya know tomorrow if I find mine(and that wont be $150!!!!) Bud

#11 ·

I suspect that the correct stocks (Nframe - if your are going to dabble in Colts, you need to know that Colt calls them "stocks" - so does S&W for that matter! Grips go on bicycle handlebars!) for a 4-inch "357" are service stocks, especially if your revolver does not have the target hammer.

I love the full-checkered stocks, but the service stocks will be easier to find, cheaper and probably correct. Only a factory letter would verify the original stocks, and sometimes even the factory letter is not helpful in that area.

#14 ·

Bullet Bob, I envy you your 4". I have the same gun in 6". It's nice on the range but too long for anything else, I think. If you get the chance, try a pair of the new Python, "handles," on your .357. They make a whole new set of angles and put the sight picture higher in the hand than the others, I think. I think on the 4", it would improve its point-shoot capabilities. Maybe?

#15 ·

As far as the hammer, my revolver DOES have the target hammer. Does this mean that it is more likely that it had the target stocks? As for the service stocks, I do have an extra pair of "Coltwood" plastic ones. I will probably use them for display, and my pair of Pacmeyers for shooting, as I am pretty broke right now after coughing up $50 for a pair of rosewood grips for one of my 1911s!

#16 ·

If this "357" has a target hammer, it probably should have target stocks. I did some brief catalog checking, and found that the target hammer and stocks were a combination in the catalogs I checked, but I seem to recall there was a time when the two were separated. They were on the Trooper.

Full-checkered stocks are hard to find, especially with the required gold medallion. Take a set off an Officers Model with silver medallions if you run onto them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.