Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a New Service Target Model made in 1904. The grips had been replaced. What would be the correct grips for this pistol? Are such grips available?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
J.L. These Target Model New Services first came out in 1900,or a couple of years after the regular N.S. They used beautiful hand checkered "fleur de lies" walnut stocks(later models,around 1920, used the same stocks with a deep insert medallion).

Hate to discourage you,but these stocks are very rare,as the Target Models were not big sellers. Last pair,I saw a couple of weeks ago, on eBay,went for close to $400! This is more than I paid for my factory refinished 1907 vintage N.S. Target,with these stocks,around 15 years ago!!!

Don't know what your gun has on it for stocks now,but you could buy reproduction New Service black "hard rubber" or repo. smooth walnut 1917 Model New Services for around $30.

The later target model called the "Shooting Master" is a tad easier to find stocks for,and I sold a pair a few months ago,out of my "parts drawer" to a guy for $100,in v.g to excellent shape,so you might get "lucky" as he did.

Best of luck in your quest.

Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yup,Gil. As did the .38 special/.357 model New Services with fixed sights-BUT- BOTH S.M. and 38/357 fixed sighted models could be ordered with the regular square butts,so it can get confusing.

Just passed on a 1936, first year of issue, .357 N.S.fixed sight that had a square butt and lanyard loop(just the hole!!), Ex P.D. piece that looks like it was used as a leatherman tool! Way too many dings etc. for the inflated price.

Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts