Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where I might get some different grips for my 1960's Detective special? Thinking on the lines of some Pachmeyer (sp?) or like.

Thank you,

Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
eBay is a good source. Just don't go overboard with your bidding. Remember there will always be another auction coming up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
eBay is a good source. Just don't go overboard with your bidding. Remember there will always be another auction coming up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, been watching. But please excuse me but what am I looking for? Round butt or square butt?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Depends on your gun. At this point, only you and your gun know. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If the metal grip frame is exposed at the bottom of your original stocks and is rounded like the stock corners, it is round butt. If your current stocks wrap under the bottom and the metal stops short front and back, it is short square butt, the later configuration. I believe Pachmayr grips in general accomodate both styles. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This would be a round butt, although older than yours.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=11418&an=0&page=25#11418

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, those are like mine then. Round butt. Thank you very much for your help.

I love my DS, but really don't like the original grips. I carry this more than any other handgun that I own.

Ken

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I love my DS,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken, I also love my Detective Special. It's the best shooting snub nose I own. Fun and accurate. Mines a early square butt.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Can't tell from the side. Depends on the shape of the grip frame which doesn't show in this view. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[ QUOTE ]
Can't tell from the side. Depends on the shape of the grip frame which doesn't show in this view. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Opps, sorry. How about this one?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Oooops. I checked some of my Pachmayrs and they are cut out for the short butt only. I know I have seen some otherwise. Let me check around. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

OK, the Pachmayr Presentation target size stocks are cut out for both, but the Presentation Compaqs and even Grippers that I have are not, apparently because of the "combat" style pinky indent. Sorry to mislead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[ QUOTE ]
Oooops. I checked some of my Pachmayrs and they are cut out for the short butt only. I know I have seen some otherwise. Let me check around. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much. I just can't seem to get any.

Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[ QUOTE ]
See my edit of previous post. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

How about some Eagles? You would need to verify that your choice would fit the longer round butt.
http://www.eaglegrips.com/styles.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks for the link to Eagle grips. Think I am going to order a set of those.

Ken

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Not to confuse the issue, but Badger's are nice too. Again, neither indicates on their website whether any model accommodates the round butt. I suspect the Badger boots might not, but the standards might. You would have to ask. When you find out, don't forget to tell us. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/
Note where the Badgers are made.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are right. I like Badger's as well. I will call on Monday and find out if they have a set for my DS. If they do I will post photo's when receivied.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know these aren't what you are looking for, but if you ever intend to carry the Cobra concealed you might also check out the "Barimi Hip Grips"

I have 2 old Cobras, one of which I use as my hidden vehicle firearm. It's stashed away neatly concealed, but with easy accessibility. I keep Barami Hip grips on it in case I have a vehicle breakdown and have to walk for help or something.

The BHG's allow you to just ease the firearm into your waistband, pull your shirttail, coat, whatever, over it, and you are good to go.

The BHG's won't win any beauty contest, but I can assure you I haven't found an easier way to carry a revolver concealed for such situations as I mentioned.

They don't cost much.

Best Wishes,

J.P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I ordered a set of Eagle Grips today. Very nice people to deal with.
Once received, I will post photo's.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts