Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grips for \"Colt Shooting Master 38\"

I have a 38 Spec. Shooting Master in nice shape but I am trying to find a set of original grips for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Grips for \"Colt Shooting Master 38\"

Welcome to the Colt Forum,jhall,from a fellow N.New Englander(Maine).I would check on eBay,or some of the online gun auctions. You probably know that they will be of walnut,checkered,with silver Colt medallions,and are of the slightly rounded style on the bottoms;these were also found on most Colt New Services in .38/.357 magnum chamberings. I also have a .38 Special S.Master. These grips will be "pricey",my guess is $100+ or -. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

I was on the same quest, about five years ago, and discovered the Shooting Master has a slightly different grip(stocks to the purists among us...
..) curvature than the standard New Service frames. I was fortunate enough to find a new set, but it took a couple of years of gun show scrounging. I was surprised at the number of nice New Service grips available, both wood and plastic, and picked up a few of them that have come in very handy, but the Shooting Master grips are very scarce to the point of almost nonexistant. I drew an exact frofile on an index card, and carried it in my gun show pouch until I finally found a set that matched. I still carry the card and keep my eyes peeled for another set, just in case, and haven't seen another set of Shooting Master grips since the first set, five years ago. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by ohiobuckeye (edited 03-04-2005).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you to all who have replied so far. I will stay on the quest to find a set of original grips. The Shooting Master is so finely machined and detailed, it seems well worth the time to keep searching. I am monitoring EBay, going to gun shows, checking with parts specialty houses, etc. Additonal info is welcome any time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts