Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a Officers Model Target in 22 l.r. I am looking for some oversize type target grips for it. From the info I have seen grips from a Officers Model Match or a Python will fit. Is this correct? Not neccessarily looking for a factory set of grips just something oversize thats easier for me to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would recommend that you try each type of target grips that were used on the E/I frames. The first type (or fully checkered) are thicker at the top and feel great but ejection is somewhat affected and over time, the spent cases can have a negative effect on the checkering. In my opinion, the second (generation?) type (checkering stops at 1/2 way around insert/medallion) feel the best and also work fine. The third type ( checkering stops fully below the medallion) are very serviceable and cheaper but feel sort of "blocky" to me. All types are available through auctions sites and vary in price up to expensive for the oldest type. In any case, I have always preferred the Colt target stocks over their Smith counterparts, mostly because of the oval contour. Good luck in your pursuit of grips. CC

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I agree with Colt Cobra on trying the different type of stocks,BUT-before you buy! Buying these at the often inflated prices on the online auctions(caused by a number of factors,none of which I subscribe to!)can add up quickly. If you are a member of a gun club and/or frequent a shooting range,others will often let you try their grips on your similar gun.

There are also some good "after market stocks". I modifed some wooden Jay Scott stocks for my .22 Officers,by reducing the size of the thumb rest and found a great pair of Herrets "skip checkered targets" for large hands" for the same frame size. BOTH pair were picked up cheaply at Gun Shows by "pawing through" vendor's boxes of "surplus grips".

Good Luck,and if you go back and look at some of the custom stocks on these guns,when competitive bullseye shooting was popular with Colt and S&W target revolvers in the 1930-1970 period,you will see a wide variety. Many original Colt and S&W target stocks were "customized" by their owners,thus making "originals" scarce(and expensive!) now! Can't even count the number of the 3 types of Colt E/I frame stocks" that I've encountered with homemade speed loader reliefs,finger grooves and checkering sanded smooth in places in places that I have encountered.

Good Luck in your quest.
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts