Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum, but didn't find any info on what may be a 'dumb' question. Did Colt put serial numbers on the inside of grips like the early Smiths?
I've not had the grips off my 1980 Python, but am wondering what the factory practice was. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
Colt used to put an assembly number on the inside of grips, usually in pencil, but this was not a serial number.
It was a control number that insured that the same grips were installed on a specific gun.

Back in the pre-war days, Colt assembled a pair of grips to the frame during polishing so they would be a perfect fit to the back strap, then removed them for bluing.

This fitting stopped during WWII, but you'd still see control numbers on the inside of some grips up until the 1960's even though they weren't as closely fitted.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I just checked my oldest 2 1/2" Python and found written in white pencil the last three numbers of the gun serial number. The S/N 540xx dates it to 1966/67, and each stock had 0xx written on it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My 1980 Python has a 5 digit number stamped on the inside of each grip, but it's not the same as the serial number of the gun.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a Official Police MKIII that was owned by a local PD department. It has the last four numbers from the serial number hand written on the inside of the stocks. I also have another OP with a round butt that has numbers written on its stock's insides. The stock was most likely switched. But those numbers don't match the weapons' serial number. I have always assumed that the police armorer put those numbers there.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback -- I guess it wasn't a bad question after all!

Regards,

·
Registered
324 Posts

This old timer has the serial number scratched inside one of the grips. It looks like it was done a loooooooooong time ago.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My mid 50's Marshal has 058 written inside each stock in a white pencil. That number has nothing to do with the serial number

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Some SAAs will imprint the S/N on the inside of wood stocks due to the fact that the number is marked on the backstrap. I have also seen a few digits from the S/N of an SAA marked ('scratched?) on the inside of the hard rubber stocks.

Homerfan - Is that the original finish on that revolver? Outstanding.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
My experience is a bit different from DFW's. Most of my Pre-1960s (and some after that) Colt revolvers with service stocks have a full or partial serial number stamped or written on the stocks. I found no gun with target stocks (Pythons, Officers Model Matches, etc.) having any number. I was surprised that so many guns from the 1930s did not have numbers of any kind, when seemingly similar guns of the same vintage did. None of my Colts with factory mother-of-pearl stocks have any kind of number, but I think such a number would easily be rubbed off the hard, slick surface if it was ever there.

Assuming it would be of interest, I shall run down the ones I checked at random. My 1911 vintage Model 1909 has the full number in pencil. My 1927 Camp Perry 10-inch has the full number stamped in large numerals. (My 1934 Camp Perry 8-inch has nothing!) My 1925 Pocket Positive has the full number scratched. My 1925 New Service Target has the full number stamped. My 1935 Detective Special has the full number stamped. (My 1927 square butt Detective Special has nothing, as does my 1926 unmarked 2-inch Police Positive Special DS prototype.) My 1954 Marshal has the last three written in while grease pencil. My 1957 "357" has the last three written in white grease pencil. My 1958 "357" has the last four written in white grease pencil. My 1957 Courier 22 has the last four written in white grease pencil. My 1959 Cobra .38 has the last three in white grease pencil. My 1961 Cobra .22 has the last four in white grease pencil. My 1956 Agent has the full serial in white grease pencil. My 1963 Python 2.5-inch has the last three in white grease pencil. My 1968 Diamondback 2.5-inch .22 has a three-digit number in white grease pencil that relates to nothing. My 1970 Single Action Army has the full number scratched, as does my 1980 SAA. My 1975 Peacemaker .22 has a two-digit number scratched that relates to nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts