Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know next to nothing about this. I am considering purchasing this revolver and would like to know your opinions on these grips. I like them, even if they turn out to be detrimental to the overall value . Please let me have your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Grips are an easy change so they really should not be a deal breaker. The grips look to be vintage Jay Scott made; imitation pearl on wood. They’re very common on Colt DS’s. I have a pair myself. Anyway nice looking Colt. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Magnificent revolver! I appreciate your sharing the info and the pics. I’m thinking this will be a carry or bedside gun, or both. It’s a 1974. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I wouldn't let the wrong stocks / grips prevent me from buying this Detective Special, but yes the correct stocks will run about $100 especially if you want the nickeled screw and escutcheon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks. I agree.
Definitely nothing wrong with those grips. They're just not collector status, but if you're buying the Detective for shooting/home defense, then it doesn't matter from a collectors standpoint. It however does mean you should be able to buy it for a little less, but also nickel guns tend to run a higher price tag than blued.

Also, if you did want new grips for the Detective if you buy it, you would be looking for "D Frame - Short" grips, which was the standard Colt switched to after 1965, so they should be easier to come by.

Edit: If you want to learn more, Click This. The section titled "Fourth Issue" describes the one you're interested in. (However, so you know, other websites often refer to this as the Third Issue)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the wealth of info and the link to a very informative site. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
^^^^What Hooch says. Your little revolver is just fine as it is, but to make it like it used to be will take a few $. (but not many) As hss been mentioned above, there are a lot of people on here who can put you on the trail of some factory wood.
That thing is a nice handgun, and should be quite pleasant to shoot & handle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts