Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group of SA .22\'s...............................

Being new on here, I thought I 'd share some of the Single Action .22's I have .....

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Group of SA .22\'s...............................

Very nice. I'll take the one at the top, left, please. I have a .22 New Frontier, and it's lonely without a Peacemaker .22!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Bob, you got mail!

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

dant; do you have any "full size" Colt .22s(or Great Westerns,conversions,or Italian clones)?

The weight,as one would imagine is "immense", a Great Western .22 I have, 7.5 bbl.,is pushing 3 lbs!

Colt was smart to make a much lighter gun,on "The Frontier Scout Frame". But not "tiny" like the Ruger Bearcat,IMO.

Looked at a USFA clone of the Flattop Target in .22. Besides the $1200+ price tag(but it is magnificently fitted and finished) the weight is an issue. Besides,I have the rare 4" Great Western Deputy Model with adjustable sights,that is fine.

The early Ruger Single Sixes were probably the best for those "quick draw artists and gun handlers" that wanted "an understudy" with about the same weight and balance as a .45 Colt full size SAA.

I owned a Frontier Scout(all blue),a Peacemaker short bbl. and a "long bbl.(6"?) dual cylinder New Frontier. This latter gun,I remember buying,as NIB for $125 in 1989 at a shop! And the shop owner predicting,that "one day" this family of Colts would be highly collectable! He was right on! Regret trading off the 3 I owned,for "bigger guns".

It's almost like Colt made so many commemoratives on this frame size,that the "regular guns" are scarcer and in demand? Something similar has happened with the SAA Colts.

Can't think of a better handgun to train a youngster to shoot single action, accurate fire on,as they have to "cock the hammer" and the smaller size,minimal recoil is user friendly to them.

A very nice quartet,dant!

Bud

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks 'lonewolf', at the time I do NOT
have any 'fullsize' or even large.22's. My buddy picked up a Colt Officers in a 6" and .22 he's going to show me at the Bereas show this weekend or OGCA, next weekend. I will let you know, more details when I see him and the gun OK?
Great Westerns, I have a couple of guys I know that are 'serious' collectors of those, so they do not stay around.

I like the looks and feel of the Colt .22 ,in the NF and especially the Peacemaker, with the 'color case' hardened cylinder frame!
Yes, the Bearcat is too small but it is 'cute' and my wife Laura collects them. But for shooting, the finger in the trigger guard, leaves 'little' if ANY room for movement!

Yes, the Single Sixes do fill that bill and very well and now they too are very 'collectable'. BUT, side by side , laying on a table, the Colt does and will "catch" your eye first!

I agree as to your 'comment' on the too many "commemeratives" and aside from a 'few' low production , or the "John Wayne" stuff, they are slow movers. We have sold quite a few 'set' of these over the years and must be "priced" fairly to 'market/move' them.

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
55 Posts

Very nice Dant.
I bought a Colt Scout new from AA Farm & Garden in about 1958-9 for $49.50. (Kids could buy guns then.)
My buddy went for the Ruger SA .22.
In the mid 1960s I got tired of the slow reloading and traded it for a Hi-Standaed Duramatic. Ten years later traded it on a 6" S&W M19. It's gone too.

[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Interest in the 22 Single Actions really picked up in the collector arena after Don Wilkerson published his book "Colt Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" in 1993. I used to see him at shows and he would brief me on status of his book. Sadly, as I understand it, Mr. Wilkerson has passed away. If you don't have this reference, I stongly recommend it if you are interested in the 22 Single Actions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts