Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching an item on GB and waiting for the midnight hour before placing my bid... Guess what, the dude pulled the item 1 day plus prior to the scheduled end... I guess he had every right to do so (there were no bids)... He no doubt received a phone call with an offer and accepted it... I was bummed... Is there no longer honor, square biz, and any number of accolades for these auctions???

My question is this; should there be a penalty for such a move by the auction sites?

I am T'ed off, but there's nothing I can do about it...

Opinions please,

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had the same experience --it seems that the gun shops allow that exit move by stating that it can be pulled----others see no bid and take an offer ---------sure is tough to know whether or not to bid early or late ..-it seems that at the end it goes crazy -------I sometimes wonder just who that other bidder is ????*******????? but I guesss you just have to give your best bid and walk -it is hard not to get caught up when you want something !

·
Registered
6 Posts
and lots of people and shops use the sites for advertisement purposes...high reserve just to get the calls on them.I look and buy a few it is a up and down business for sure.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If there are no bids, then you must place the first bid in order to get the game in play. Many dealers state they reserve the right to end the auction if they receive an offer in their store. GB can't do anything if you have no claim. There are legitimate reasons for ending an auction, whether they are exploited or not. This is no different than eBay or any other auction site. If you miss something because you didn't place that starting bid, you can only blame yourself (IMHO).

If you place the bid to put it in play, and the seller THEN ends the auction, he will be at fault and you could register a complaint. I've seen negative feedbacks on sellers for this very reason. I don't think they do it intentionally, but they don't keep proper controls on their business.

Was this a "no reserve" auction? Could actually use more details.

JOliver is also correct. But these sellers are easily spotted and I don't even look at their items.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I agree. In any auction you must at one time jump in. If the auction is already about 2 days before ending and without bids, the seller will get the idea that there are no takers on the net.

If there are no takers and the gun finds a buyer in another way you miss out.

I think it would be better next time to start the bidding yourself. That way you can put the show on the road and force others who are also following that auction to jump in and increase the number of bids in a way that the seller doesn't get tempted to pull the auction because of lack of interest.

Downside is off course that with every bid the price goes up. Therefor it's best to start an auction with an almost insulting offer! But that will force others to jump in.

Downside of that is that if the other's don't jump in you most likely won't make the reserve.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How about this scenerio --------a gun has beeen up for say 2 auction cycles with a start bid of $2900.- Near the end of that 2nd auction cycle you (us) says ------Hmmm ,I'd buy that at $2500- Max----so if we email the seller ,who is getting 0 bids and state that we are a buyer at our $2500- and he accepts ---------who did anything wrong .......if you want it > go for it!
I guess that may be the simple reason / answer to an annoying problem we all deal with on occasion .Isn't it a shame that we all can't put in an order -get what we want- and skip those addictive auctions.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I myself dabble on the aution sites.
I also get PO'd if I'm watching something and it gets removed. Now, If I'm bidding and the reserve is met, then I get very angry if it's pulled.
If in fact there's NO bids and I'm trying to dive in for the kill at the last minute and it get's removed, I can understand a little better as to why it was possibly sold out before close of the auction. At that point I feel it's my problem as I didn't post a bid.
If it's a thousand dollar item and the bidding is at $100 a day before it's to end, I can understand the sellers thoughts on ending it. Only if there's a reserve and it's not been met.
It's just part of life. We've all been through it if we've spent anytime at all bidding and buying on any of the auction sites.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
552 Posts
The gun auctions suck. You are almost guaranteed to over pay. And frequently, the goods are not in as good shape as the seller claim. Sure, you have a three day inspection, but you are usually out a $100 bucks between, FFL fees, shipping, and confirmed delivery of MO's if you dare send it back. I have heard a few people return real POS, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

But if there is something you have got to have your chances of finding it at the Fun Shows are limited.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I can't really complain to much about the auction sites. We buy from them because of the wide selection of guns that are not available to us in our home area.

If no one places a bid on an auction, in my opinion the seller has every right to do whatever he wants with it. The whole thing is to be high bidder. No bid, means to me, no auction really occured. If I am interested in a gun, I will place a bid early on to let the guy know I'm in, and then lay off for awhile to see who else jumps in. Waiting to bid at the end on Gunbroker doesn't make much sense because of the 15 minute rule.

I do not like reserve auctions. I would much rather have the guy start at a higher price, that he can live with should it sell at the end without a lot of bidding, or put a realistic buy now on it, and let someone who really wants that particular model have it at the buy now price.

To be truthful, we would not have much of a gun collection without the auction sites. You just have to be careful, like you should be about anything of importance in life.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts