Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to limit my purchases of guns on G/B;.. much preferring to have a "hands-on" deal.... I expect most of us, (buyers) would. So in a nutshell, I know little of the actual workings of the system.

Occasionally though, that special prize I want is nowhere to be found locally, and off I go into an unfamiliar place. Well, part of it is familiar;..I know I am likely going to pay more on this international "gun sale" than I would have to pay ole Jim down at the gun store.

The situation that pops up here, is the shipper's declaration that usually states something like this: "Shipping is $30 priority mail, and if you want extra insurance, for an extra cost, let me know at time of payment".
So who is the beneficiary of this "extra insurance" ?? What is the insurance covering ? What exactly is insured​ ?

Recalling some early days of doing some receiving clerk work, I could specify a "damage goods" claim, and have the shipper do one of two things.
He could verify package, and likely material damage, in agreement with me, and leave it, (for the undamaged portion to be used), and have the shipper's agent come in and adjust the price accordingly. This type of "adjustment" was for a package that had multiple items with only a few damaged.

The second option on damage was outright refusal of the package,..return to sender.
But I, as the receiver, could not" issue a claim for insurance, more especially on "lost goods / missing shipment".

So how does the 'insurance" portion of a gun buy track out ??

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
It depends n how it is getting shipped. USPS only has $50.00 on a package, so I get the extra insurance for a few dollars. FedEx and UPS automatically cover up to $200, (I am guessing) so you can buy more. What is a few dollars more for insurance in case something goes wrong. The beneficiary is the sender, but if it does not reach you, he should pay your cost from the insurance. This may not answer your questions, but I tried.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts