Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Used to be a superintendant for a sand and gravel company and have been all over the rocky mountains. At one of our pits in north east Colorado I found a HUGE bone in our hi wall that we were feeding into the plant. it was 35 feet down from old groundlevel. these are old sand bar fingers from ice age run off. The bone is at least 2 feet long and weighs 15 lbs or so. I took it to the museum of natural history in Denver, I have family that works there, one of the scientists said it is a juvinile femur of a Gomphotherium and is 60,000 yrs old. It is related to the mamoth, looks like one....just a shorter trunk and four large tusks instead of two.

Anyway I was wondering could I sell it on GB? I have poked around the net and found equivalent mamoth bones go for $200-$400. I NEVER saw another Gumptherium bone. It would look awsome on a mantel or a wall. I just want to turn it into gun money. What do you think?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
FleaBay it ;) Pretty neat being 60,000 years old and all but to me it's just another bone my dogs would end up finding and burying.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked if the denver museum wanted it and they "expressed no intrest in it" at the time they had a huge mamoth find up above denver in an old ice age lake. So i took it back home.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
ebay would be the best bet...no one would be looking for something like that, to ever find it on Gunbroke(r).

Or, make some Stocks out of it!! Lol...( Just kidding...but, well, you could! )

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
When I lived in CO they had a few major digs near Bandimere Speedway and came away with bones older than that so I suspect the museum had enough.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ebay would be the best bet...no one would be looking for something like that, to ever find it on Gunbroke(r).

Or, make some Stocks out of it!! Lol...( Just kidding...but, well, you could! )
I actually thought of some SAA bone grips. How cool would that be when someone asked!! "ya, you have stag grips? ya mine are 60,000 years old mineralized bone..."

·
Registered
600 Posts
GB is actually a means to sell, in lots of catagories other than guns, including yours. Or maybe just toss it to Obama & it will "change" to something beneficial.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Anyway, 'Taxidermy' is the Art and Craft of preserving a dead Animal ( or often enough just it;s Head and Neck, ) in terms of it's appearance as a whole, by seweing it's preserved Skin over a fake Body ( or over a fake skull and neck ), made to be the same size and shape as the Animal had been...and, substituting fake Eyes of course.

Paleontology is the term for the wider category of finding, catelogueing/identifying, and managing ancient, Mineralized or Fossilized Bones.

I just did some searches in ebay, using terms like Mastodon Bone, Mammoth Bone, and, there was about nothing other than some Teeth or small shards.

Using the search term Fossil Bone, there were quite a few hits, and, almost all tiny little Bones, and, then I tried Fossil Femur Bone, and, other than more tiny bone examples, there were two listings for supposed Theropod femurs in poor shape for a few hundred each...so...kinda hard to tell much by that, far as what to try and ask.

Got nothing with Mastodon Femur or Mammoth Femur

Got nothing from using the term "Gomphotherium" other than some sketch from Checkoslavakia of a Snail.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Gunbroker does have a Taxidermy section to sell in, but I believe there would be a better venue somewhere else. Ebay may work, but search around a bit first.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A couple sets of grips were the first thing to come to my mind. Heck Giraffe bone sells for a bunch and I'll bet they are not 60,000 year old Giraffes! I'll bet nobody has a set of Gompotherium bone grips!

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
'Dinosaur' Bones are one thing ( and, really, few to hardly any are worth much of anything on any Market, unless attributable to the better known Raptors, or, a fairly complete Skull or Hand maybe...where, possibly complete 'finds' and or long ago dug and kept of fairly complete Skeletens can be or would be valuable, or if the right species, if a species someone is after. )

While, I will guess, a single Bone or Femur from a mid to later Pleistocene Mammal, is probably going to be a hard sell, no matter how cool it is as itself...even if priced very low, since there is no reason why anyone would want it, other than fun or novelty, and, institutions would not want it since they would be after complete Skeletens or fairly complete Skulls or Hands for making exhibits of those elements.

A Femur from one of the larger Tyrranosaurs would be different.

Possibly if large enough, a Femur by itself from a Mammoth or Mastodon or their kin, IF really large, similarly...it might interest a private collector IF large enough for bragging rights, or might interest an institution similarly ( if it was unusually large ) if they wished to incorporate into an exhibit of just how big such a Femur was.

So a Femur, from a Juvenile Gompotherium I will guess is going to be in a sort of limbo...lacking the visual drama of what a Femur from a larger or largest Adult would have, to interest an institution or private colector.

So, in the long run, this may well actually be the most valued by someone, as material out of which Revolver or Pistol Stocks or Knife Scales could be made...and, that would probably depend on the degree of Mineralizaiton/Fossilization, since, if fully Fossilized it would be basically somewhat close to 'Quartz', and, be too heavy and hard and possibly brittle, for Knife Scales of Hand Gun Stocks.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
B.C. You said you took the bone to the Natural History Museum in Denver and they showed no interest. Large museums with good colletions already might not want it, but smaller county museums would probably love to have something like that. Where I live there are no big museums, but every county seat has a small museum of some sort. I don't know if there are any of those in your area, or the Denver area, but it might be worth a shot if you can't find a buyer for it. It is an interesting conversation piece.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am conflicted. I would like to sell it, but I see the good nature in donating it. But then my gun money has to come from other means (bosses orders). If I found a gold nugget I surely would not donate it....I give over $10k a year to charity already....man.....I guess I can Craigslist it or ebay it.....and if it does not meet what I expect I could donate it then.......

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
That's what I'd do - try ebay, give measurements and weight in the description, good images...include public domain images of Gomphotherium examples, and also look for some internet Probuscidae or Mammoth/Mastodon/Gomphotherium discussion Forums ( if any exist, and, who knows, they might! ) and pitch it there...

Here's a fun image ( looks like a aub-adult Gomphotherium too -

http://images.wikia.com/dinosaurs/images/e/e8/Gomphotheriumsize.jpg

If all else fails, then find someplace to donate it to...schmoose with the 2nd rank boys-n-girls if possible, bring them some Coffee and Donuts or something anyway, and, and have them give you a 'generous' evaluation on their Letterhead so you can write off the donation and at least get some milliage out of it.

I will guess, that part of the problem with moving this particular Femur, is that the wider Probusciadae were very well extablished all over North America for a very very long time, and, their Bones and intact Skeletens are abundant. To this, is the additional factor that the Femur you have is neither from a Neonate or Baby, nor from a full or exceptionally large adult, thus lacking the 'drama' which it would tend to need to be able to fly on it's own as an incidental or side-exhibit kind of item which might be arranged near by to a complete Skeleten assembly exhibit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts