Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm fighting a war of attrition with the head cold from hell. I've cleaned the closet, straightened up my dresser, and re-arranged my wife's spice drawer alphabetically. Boredom has driven me to watching youtube videos, specifically firearms videos. I'm appalled at the dearth of common sense revolver handling. On one video a is woman ejecting cases from an SAA by holding it muzzle down and snapping the ejector rod, popping the cases up in the air. I was taught that gravity, which has been working for millions of years is your friend. One fellow consistently cocked the hammer of a S&W Model 10 while gripping it with his support hand around the barrel/cylinder gap. I believe he also held the revolver cocked, at his waist, Humphrey Bogart style while he waved his other hand down range in front of the muzzle. Another's technique for ejecting cases from a Police Positive Special was to open the cylinder and shake the revolver. To be fair, I don't expect people weaned on plastic autoloaders to be skilled in the ways of the wheel gun. But if I was going to make a how-to video I'd do a bit of background homework before I started. Perhaps I'll just re-read my Elmer Keith books.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
The NRA safety rules have been tried and held true for generations. All these YouTube people need to do is demonstrate them. It seems everyone has to put their own spin on something simple and proven and see themselves as YouTube stars.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I'm fighting a war of attrition with the head cold from hell. I've cleaned the closet, straightened up my dresser, and re-arranged my wife's spice drawer alphabetically. Boredom has driven me to watching youtube videos, specifically firearms videos. I'm appalled at the dearth of common sense revolver handling. On one video a is woman ejecting cases from an SAA by holding it muzzle down and snapping the ejector rod, popping the cases up in the air. I was taught that gravity, which has been working for millions of years is your friend. One fellow consistently cocked the hammer of a S&W Model 10 while gripping it with his support hand around the barrel/cylinder gap. I believe he also held the revolver cocked, at his waist, Humphrey Bogart style while he waved his other hand down range in front of the muzzle. Another's technique for ejecting cases from a Police Positive Special was to open the cylinder and shake the revolver. To be fair, I don't expect people weaned on plastic autoloaders to be skilled in the ways of the wheel gun. But if I was going to make a how-to video I'd do a bit of background homework before I started. Perhaps I'll just re-read my Elmer Keith books.
Your post made me smile. Thanks for that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts