Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Greetings experts. I found this gun at my local shop for 2 grand. There are no markings on it except it says Texas Rangers on top of the barrel. The barrel is rifled and octagonal. It is carbine length. I am sorry this is the only photo. Anyone know what it is? It has seven shots and looks to be a larger cal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I bought it only because I cannot find anything like it anywhere after half a day of looking. There may only be a couple of it and that would be pretty cool no matter what it is. When I pick it up ill get up close and get some more pics to show.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Well, this should be interesting. "Texas" indicates that this could be a Mexican copy of some existing revolving rifle. Am wondering how the shop priced it, since they know nothing about it?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The Texas Rangers marking on the top of the barrel indicates that it is some type of foreign copy, most likely Spanish or Belgian. Kind of like all the Webley copies that are marked British Bulldog or something similar and are designed to fool the unknowledgeable gun buyer from many years past.
The shop is fishing for a sucker. It would be an interesting curio as a wall hanger for $200. For $2000 ? Some fool and his money may soon be parted.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I am doubtful of the "Texas Ranger" marking on the barrel. The Texas Navy received their Paterson Colts in 1839. When President Sam Houston disbanded the Navy in 1843, Captain John Coffee Hayes took the Navy Patersons and put them to good use with the Rangers.
I have never heard of revolving rifles being issued to the Rangers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A fool eh? That is not very nice. Anyway, it is a group of folks i have been knowing for years and they are not making any claims on what it is. It is coming from a consigner and they just took a shot on the price. Here are some more photos of it that I was able to get. Its 38 inches long. It is bigger than .45 but less than a .577 minie ball. It has a serial number of 1 but no other markings I could locate. They are either not there or time and corrosion has worn it away.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Boy, they sure spent a lot of time aging it - should've aged the wood to match.

I'd say it was made for the tourist trade in Belgium, based on a similar model I'd run across sans the pitting.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
A fool eh? That is not very nice. Anyway, it is a group of folks i have been knowing for years and they are not making any claims on what it is. It is coming from a consigner and they just took a shot on the price. Here are some more photos of it that I was able to get. Its 38 inches long. It is bigger than .45 but less than a .577 minie ball. It has a serial number of 1 but no other markings I could locate. They are either not there or time and corrosion has worn it away.
That was not very nice.
However, I agree that 2k is a high price for what is NOT a Colt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all information everyone. I never believed it was an actual colt but I did not know what it was nor could I figure it out so that makes it weird and I collect weird. It looked most like a colt so I figured someone here would know. Maybe I overpaid but that's ok I've never seen one before and I'll probably never see one again.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I am only guessing here as all of us are. I see it as a copy of the colt 1839 carbine. In it`s own right I guess it was a copycat by some company of that era as for its day it was probably thought one of the best out there, no different in practice than Uberti, or Rossi and other copycats of today.
If you read the write up I posted it was made even in a shotgun besides a bunch of calibers. Even so, on its own merit that gun could have seen more real action than the average colt it copied. That gun looks a LOT more used than some safe queen that every colt we all pant after.
Years ago I traded into a .50 caliber Whitneyville Armory buffalo rifle. It "looked" like a big Remington rolling block. It had a bunch of sight slots on top of the barrel and was in well used condition like yours.
I took it to a gun-show in the 1970`s or 1980`s and Ray Houser who owned the well known Pony Express gun shop in San Fernando valley bought it from me. He dealt in such high end stuff, one of the best known dealers in the Los Angeles area. He was happy to get it and told me this one is going over my fireplace! He said some old buffalo hunter frontiersman had owned it for many years and all the slots on the barrel were from his eyes having changed over many years! He had the cream of the crop pass through his hands, could have anything but said this one was going over his fireplace! I made a mistake selling it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all information everyone. I never believed it was an actual colt but I did not know what it was nor could I figure it out so that makes it weird and I collect weird. It looked most like a colt so I figured someone here would know. Maybe I overpaid but that's ok I've never seen one before and I'll probably never see one again.
Oh no problem bud it didn't hurt my feelings. That's the problem with auction houses. Very little time to do the in depth research.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sundance1313...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am only guessing here as all of us are. I see it as a copy of the colt 1839 carbine. In it`s own right I guess it was a copycat by some company of that era as for its day it was probably thought one of the best out there, no different in practice than Uberti, or Rossi and other copycats of today.
If you read the write up I posted it was made even in a shotgun besides a bunch of calibers. Even so, on its own merit that gun could have seen more real action than the average colt it copied. That gun looks a LOT more used than some safe queen that every colt we all pant after.
Years ago I traded into a .50 caliber Whitneyville Armory buffalo rifle. It "looked" like a big Remington rolling block. It had a bunch of sight slots on top of the barrel and was in well used condition like yours.
I took it to a gun-show in the 1970`s or 1980`s and Ray Houser who owned the well known Pony Express gun shop in San Fernando valley bought it from me. He dealt in such high end stuff, one of the best known dealers in the Los Angeles area. He was happy to get it and told me this one is going over my fireplace! He said some old buffalo hunter frontiersman had owned it for many years and all the slots on the barrel were from his eyes having changed over many years! He had the cream of the crop pass through his hands, could have anything but said this one was going over his fireplace! I made a mistake selling it.
Its strange how certain things come into our hands. I have a one of the Anton and Char 19th century Spanish peacemaker clones. It has had the front sight filed down and its clearly been through it. Did a farmer carry it on the fields? Or a cowboy even maybe? I wish we could get the stories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the insult Sundance 1313. I didn't realize that you had already purchased it. However, I still think you overpaid by a very substantial amount unfortunately.
No problem Walter. I was not insulted. It was an auction situation and there was not enough time to do deep in depth research.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts