Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
When I sold my collection I kept a few favorites. This pair, factory B engraved and shipped to the two brothers at Decker Bros Sporting Goods in Mason City IA when I was 10 days old. MT4212 came to me in the case as shown. MT4210, in the Myres, I'm betting had an identical case, but it is long gone.
Hey, a case is gun leather too!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
colt22.com
A Colt in an Audley. The way they should be.
A Colt marked Audley!!! Priceless!!!
Thanks for the picture. Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Awesome! Can you tell me how much this holster weighs, and how long it was in production -- I'm assuming it started in 1925, but when did it end? Many thanks!

Cheers

HANS
It weighs 12.5 ounces.

I don't know when production stopped, but a good guess is on or around 26 June 1934. That is when the National Firearms Act (NFA) was enacted.

The NFA was a monstrous piece of gun control legislation that was intended to control what congress considered "gangster weapons" such as machine guns. As is typical with our combination of well intentioned (but uninformed and overly meddlesome) congress members, together with overzealous government bureaucrats, the unintended consequences have been huge. One example is what the act called a "short barreled rifle", which includes any firearm with a buttstock and a rifled barrel under 16" long. When this very practical NS holster stock was mounted on a Colt Woodsman the combination became a "firearm with a buttstock and a rifled barrel under 16" long", and subject to the draconian restrictions of the NFA. That is almost as silly as smooth bore pistols being treated the same as sawed off shotguns.

Fortunately the NS holster stock has been reclassified as a "curio and relic" and therefore exempt from the restrictions. As a result a good number of them came out of hiding a few years ago, many still new in their original box. Unfortunately though, there are also many that had the clamp removed in order to "make them legal."

I am not a lawyer. If I have said anything that is incorrect perhaps one or more of our forum members with a better understanding of the law will chime in.

I hope the forum leaders will forgive me for editorializing. I just couldn't help it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
My only vintage holster is Bauer Brothers for an official police. I bought it off e-bay for less than $20. I was told it dates to the 30's, I just wanted something that matched the look of this old revolver.

The cartridge slide is modern by Trailrider Products here in Colorado and fits those 32-20 rounds very snugly.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My only vintage holster is Bauer Brothers for an official police. I bought it off e-bay for less than $20. I was told it dates to the 30's, I just wanted something that matched the look of this old revolver.

The cartridge slide is modern by Trailrider Products here in Colorado and fits those 32-20 rounds very snugly.
What a deal that was. :)

Few days ago I took my New Service to a local guy that does excellent leatherwork, specializing in saddles for the rodeo crowd, but does holster and rig work as well. Told him I plan on posting the setup on this forum when it's finished. Hoping it's all I asked for and more.;)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I bought an old Heiser 712. It looks like it was made sometime between 1910-1925? I'm not sure what pistol it was made for but my Colt Cowboy seems to fit into it pretty snugly. I tried my Colt DA38 from the same era as the holster but it is kind of a "loose" fit. DSCN2341.jpg DSCN2342.jpg DSCN2359.jpg DSCN2352.jpg

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Made by Lt. Col. Neil Christian - U.S.M.C.

My grandfathers cousin made and carried during Korean War . Sketch by H.E. Crowell , about 1952, very rare factory engraved Gen. 1I have the letter - unfortunately not the SAA ..... Enjoy, EdBlack

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mr. Rayburn,

I would love to learn more about Woodsman shoulder stocks like you show. My "project" I am working on is for a suppressed MT 1st Series (have threaded MT barrel with Dinan muzzle brake now - hoping to attach a retro YHM Maxim can to it), plus a forearm stock like you once had and pictured on forum - and custom shoulder holster. A "hit man" setup. The MT I've got on lay-a-way has EE stocks but it would be great to have a shoulder stock holster. Any leads on one? There was one on Ebay recently but really rough. Seller posted for $1k or best offer - and sold for ???. It was made, he posted, by another manufacturer "National Lead?". Any idea how rare those shoulder stocks are/were? Muchas Gracias for your photos and any info you wish to share.

41 - 60 of 176 Posts