Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some rather serious health issues,I am basically forced tosell a large number of my collection(handguns&long guns) I have a lot of Colts an several Smiths as well as the usual firearms one latches on to through the years.
I live just out side of Syracuse N.Y.,and don't know if this is the problem but I took two Pythons to a dealer in Syracuse and within a few seconds he tells me he might get me $450.00 or so for each.Both guns look like new if you put them next to a brand new out of the box pair you would have a hard time telling which was the new ones.
Looking at the gun forums I thought I would get a lot more.NOW is this what I can expect to get for the rest of them? I am not trying to get top dollar but at least a good return for them.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Woahhh.
Not a gunshop if you want the best or decent prices.
Keep in mind, gunshops are going to have to resell and make a profit. That's their business and how they stay in business.
Did you sell those Pythons already ?
I for one would give you more than that for them.
I'm sure the members here would love to have a chance at the Colts you have.
Would you be willing to ship them ?
Maybe you can post a list for us ?
You can email me direct if you would like.
My email is in my profile.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

I just sent you a private message.
Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
So sorry you are having the health problems in the first place. I'm really hoping you will regain a good measure of your health.

A dealer has to make a living so he can't offer top dollar for a piece then leave the inventory investment he made sitting for some time until it sells. Neither should a dealer pad his pocket at your expense which is the case in this instance. If your Pythons happened to be sporting refinishes he might have been in line.

The firearms forums have dedicated enthusiasts who would be grateful to have the opportunity to purchase good quality pieces from a fellow gun lover. I imagine you can move a few here without taking a drubbing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Don't use that dealer, or if you do, get a whole lot more for the Pythons. Put them up on this websites classified area. You will be a whole lot happier with the out come.

FC

·
Registered
931 Posts
As I already see, there are decent guys here who will help get fair prices for your Colts. May I be blunt and say that gunshop/employee who made that offer is unethical to the point of being a damn thief.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As I already see, there are decent guys here who will help get fair prices for your Colts. May I be blunt and say that gunshop/employee who made that offer is unethical to the point of being a damn thief.

[/ QUOTE ]
amen brother!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No have not sold them yet,I got ahold of another dealer this evening, going to see him tomorrow.He will take a look at six or so handguns and give me an idea of what to expect,he said the internet is the way to go so I will keep everyone posted.
You know it feels like I am parting ways with some of my family.
Appreciate the replys guys.
George M. aka 11thACR

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good luck in obtainging a fair price for your outstanding collection... But most of all I wish you a speedy recovery and return to good health...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You really won't get a fair price from any dealer even if it's for his own personal collection. Dealers see way too many examples to pay the higher price tag. Also since they resell the guns they have to buy at a lower price so they can make a profit when they resell it. Either determine a price and advertise that you are selling or put them up for auction if you want to get what they are worth.

·
Registered
490 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Due to some rather serious health issues,I am basically forced tosell a large number of my collection(handguns&long guns) I have a lot of Colts an several Smiths as well as the usual firearms one latches on to through the years.
I live just out side of Syracuse N.Y.,and don't know if this is the problem but I took two Pythons to a dealer in Syracuse and within a few seconds he tells me he might get me $450.00 or so for each.Both guns look like new if you put them next to a brand new out of the box pair you would have a hard time telling which was the new ones.
Looking at the gun forums I thought I would get a lot more.NOW is this what I can expect to get for the rest of them? I am not trying to get top dollar but at least a good return for them.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds to me that someone is trying to take advantage of you....good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had good luck (and no problems) selling several guns on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com . Since they are auctions, many dozens of people across the country have the opportunity to bid. I always thought I received a fair price.

When sold, you will probably have to pay a local dealer $25 to handle the transaction on your behalf.

Hope your health improves.

JERRY

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
What the others said. Please do whatever you need to do for your health. If you absolutely MUST sell anything consider the net or the forum. It is my belief that most of the forum members would happily offer you a FAIR price, which that so called dealer definately is NOT.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If it's legal where you live, you could also rent a table at a local gunshow and try selling some that way. It's fairly cheap, but take a friend or two, it helps to have an extra pair of eyes to prevent walk-offs.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Cheap ?
It's $80 a table by me and Mr Tax man walks through the show.
If you get caught with-out a re-sale number & business license, they sell you one right there. You then have to collect tax on all sales and file all of it.
Not fun & yes, been there done that.
No longer do I do that.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts