Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering taking this nice Diamondback, .22, 6" to a local gun show here in NC tommorow and see if I can get what I paid for it: $650.00. Am I most likely to receive decent offers from the vendors there, or will they try to "steal" it from me. Is it possible to sell to other show attendees? How should I go about getting what this gun is worth? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Craig in Charlotte, NC

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't expect offers from dealers that are close to retail. Dealers need a profit and buying at retail prices won't allow any profit. I am not familiar with NC law but in Indiana sales are allowed between residents. Enjoy the show.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If somebody hasn't said so yet,welcome to the Colt Forum, Craig. Lovely looking Dback.,and gunfish nailed it about don't expect retail,of course. I have no accurate idea of what your gun would go for,retail,but others surely will chime in,hopefully. Dbacks. are a little "too late model" for me. Be prepared to be insulted by the offers some "dealers" will offer you,I mean $100-$200,or $400,trade in,for some $300 gun that they've jacked up to $600. The only time you will get close to "fair value",is from a honest dealer,who knows that he can quickly sell your gun,to a customer who has him looking for a Diamondback like yours. It does happen,and dealer has a quick turnaround,with his funds not tied up in stock for a period of time.
The issue of private sales,is one to exercise caution in. First,I doubt if any "criminal types" would want to pay that kind of money for your gun,just to avoid the "insta check". Some gun shows,at least in Maine & N.H., have strict rules for "dealing" and "soliciting",by private individuals,especially in the lobby and parking lot.(not criminal law,but show promoter will toss you out) Besides obviously taking only cash,never ride with a buyer to an ATM machine(or even get into their vehicle to "deal"). An elderly friend(even older than this old Omega Wolf!),asked me to follow he and a prospective buyer to an ATM,where the buyer was gonna withdraw cash: Buyer balked when he heard this,probably just mad at not being 'trusted". I hope you are showing the Diamondback to a dealer,when a well heeled(with cash) "Colt type",sees your gun,and offers you $750 for it. As long as you see each other's drivers licenses and make out a bill of sale,with serial # etc.,you should be OK(but I don't know about residency,and it usually doesn't apply to private sales). Laugh at the "dealers" insulting offers(and attempts to verbally downgrade your Dback) and hopefully,you will get lucky,and get the price you and the fine firearm deserve. Good Luck,and let us know what transpired. Bud

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi it looks very nice you should get that for it .
here in florida you can walk around with it at the show and sell it like that.you can put for sale on your back.
you must let them put the plastic wire tie on it when you go in.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If it doesn't sell then all is not lost. We can possibly work out an arrangement where I would take it off your hands.
Email me if you consider this after the gunshow.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 02-25-2005).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, folks. I know the dealers need to make a profit, so somebody will really have to want it to pay retail. I might try to work a trade for something I'm more willing to shoot. I'll cr*p the first time I put a major scratch on this D-back. I still want a .22, maybe a Ruger MkII or a Buckmark.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Dare I say it here on the Colt Forum ?
You could buy yourself one of the best .22 caliber wheelguns out there for around $350 and still pocket about half your cash.
The S&W K22 Masterpiece A.K.A. the K22.
The K22 can be had with a 4, 6 or 8 3/8 inch barrel. They are known to be wonderful shooters.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Craig, welcome to the forum!
Your Diamondback is worth every penny of what you are asking.
HTH

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Welcomes guys. Reading your posts convinced me to buy this DB in the first place. Certainly no regrets there. I'm just thinking I might redistribute my assets a little. I'll have no problem keeping this pistol if a real deal doesn't present itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts