Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In honor of our freedoms and rights guaranteed by so many I made the mistake of going to a Gun Show in Nampa, Idaho...
I should have brought a Step Ladder...Beef Jerky Specials seem boring after the Life and Insurance Companies have now set up at the show to drum up business..I swear there were more reprobates at this show then a retirement lunch for Old Cops..LOL, (Me Included)..

At least 5 Pythons, a New Cobra, A Bunch of S&W revolvers, and a few ticket salesmen from Barnum & Bailey. $8.00 entry fee, $2.00 donuts...Custom knife makers complaining of going broke. One Buyer willing to Buy any gun at .30 cents on the dollar. The usual guns that have made the Last 10 shows with the same sellers...But hey there was some good news......

Parking was free....:rolleyes:

Left the show, Had a Jack in the Box Cheeseburger and came home alive....WITH all my money in tack...;)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Went to a show recently and never bought a gun. Had great fun and helped friends at their table. Odd guns came through the door and very high dollar. Guy comes in with a Smith revolver and says it's 22 mag yet barrel said 22lr, he wanted $500 and gun was 90%. Another guy comes in with heavy barrel Smith with fixed sites and 357 on barrelso I thought it was a model 13. Opened the cylinder and on the frame it said 10-6. He said it was a special run of 2,000 made for the police but had no PD markings. Passed on it.

Did buy three nice double gun rugs for $10 each and a set of unknown grips for K frame. Ammo was high and you could do far better in stores. Mostly black gun everywhere you look and few collectables.

There was one 22 diamondback in about 95% with no box and wrong grips that the seller wanted $1400 for.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
As a collector I haven't bought a gun at a gun show in a long time; I agree with the Kid about pricing (gee I guess it makes me guilty - read on!) and a flea market atmosphere. As a seller I can relate to the Flea Market atmosphere; there were 8 tables in a large square; two were mine with nothing but guns; one was a guy and his wife selling homemade custom pens and pencils; one was for a Probate Judge Candidate; one was the local "Defend your gun rights in Texas"; two were an older woman selling jewelry.

As a part-time seller of a part of my collection (um the wife determined I have spent too much on guns - she's right - but hey!) I've had two tables at one of two local monthly gun shows where I live for the last three months. I can't complain... I have sold close to $10,000 of my collection in 5 days of gun show. We'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll give you an update tomorrow night after I get home. Surprisingly the few Colts I've put on my table(s) haven't sold; and although the listed price may seem high - I'm pretty flexible when it comes to selling them. Several people have commented on my prices; I tell them its a lot easier to come down in price instead of going up in price.

Today was "typical" from what I've found at the gun show I've been going to; I sold 7 guns; 6 hand guns and a Beretta 1201FP 12 Gauge Riot Shotgun. One guy bought three guns from me and despite "discounting the sell price" I sold them for more then I paid for them.

One side benefit of having a table is trade offers another, purchase discounts. Last month I traded (posted last month) into a S&W Model 19-3 4" .357 Magnum and the S&W Thunder Ranch .44 Special Model 21-4. Today's "special" was buying a Mossberg Shockwave in 20 Gauge. It was listed at $385.00 that would have been around $420.00 with tax - I paid $390.00 for it.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
In 1969, I worked for a used auto auction. Dealers would wholesale cars there which would not sell on their lots. Apparently, merely exchanging locations of sale would make the cars somehow more desireable to a different clientelé. The auction was euphemistically referred to as "the dog show." Seems like that term also applies to other areas of enterprise.

Reactions: ei8ht and wolfcoln

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Went to a show recently**** Another guy comes in with heavy barrel Smith with fixed sites and 357 on barrelso I thought it was a model 13. Opened the cylinder and on the frame it said 10-6. He said it was a special run of 2,000 made for the police but had no PD markings. Passed on it.
Depending on the "ask" for the S&W 10-6 in .357; you may have missed a limited special run by Smith. Among a total production of two thousand plus; there were 1200 10-6 made for the NYSP in .357. Frame marked 10-6, heavy barrel marked .357. With no police markings.
Pinned and recessed, fixed sights.
They were the predecessor of the model 13, and some of the guns were restamped 13-1.

As I noted, the asking price would have been the key, and maybe only then, if you collected special S&Ws. :D

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Depending on the "ask" for the S&W 10-6 in .357; you may have missed a limited special run by Smith. Among a total production of two thousand plus; there were 1200 10-6 made for the NYSP in .357. Frame marked 10-6, heavy barrel marked .357. With no police markings.
Pinned and recessed, fixed sights.
They were the predecessor of the model 13, and some of the guns were restamped 13-1.

As I noted, the asking price would have been the key, and maybe only then, if you collected special S&Ws. :D
I know who has it, :D it had about 80% finish and went for $250.

Jim

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I attend about a half dozen gun shows a year here in CA. Parking and admission average about $25-$26. Occasionally I'm in and out in an hour and tell myself that sure was a waste of money. Sometimes I find something I have been looking for and at less than (California) market value. Sometimes I find something I really want and pay a lot for it but I don't care because experience has taught me that A) If I don't buy it and walk around thinking about it, when I come back it will be gone, B) chances of finding another example cheaper are slim, and C) chances of finding another one at all in a reasonable amount of time are also slim.
I have learned to totally ignore the jerky vendors and flea market type vendors and I never buy food at the shows. Ammo has come down considerably in price in the last 6 months and availability is almost back to pre-Obama levels. I am always surprised when members who live in more "free" states than draconian California complain about how crummy their shows are. A guy on another forum was complaining that he had a 1969 Model 19 S&W and had no takers at $750. From the photos, it was absolutely gorgeous and looked new. It would be gone the first 30 minutes of a show around here.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've been attending Montana gun shows since 1976. All in all I enjoy them although more flea market stuff is intruding than ever before. Still there is some good stuff appearing between the junk and the hopelessly overpriced stuff. I have a table reserved for a couple of upcoming ones where I'm going to sell off most of my several hundred World War II history books so maybe I'm part of the flea market problem myself.

I have at least couple dozen fine vintage guns picked up a these gun shows over the years.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Gun shows here in Illinois have been on a steady decline for the last 30 years and most of the vendors now are dealers. That said I still go to several a year as you just never know when you'll find a bargain or something you can't live without. The one show that is the exception but unfortunately a very long drive is the Tulsa show that's held twice a year. Now for those who have never been there it's worth the time and distance, just bring comfortable walking shoes.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Only time I go to a gun show is if I'm looking for a certain gun to add to the collection.

I check the local gun shops before going...writing down the prices...then go to the show and see if I can do better.

Then...walk around...buy some jerky...and leave...

{ telling myself on the way out the door that at least I got to see some guns and buy some jerky....}

And that I'm damn glad to LIVE IN AMERICA !!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Still like to go in spite of the non-gun vendors. The kids will eat the jerky and I can take them to different tables and they get to see firearms history in person. Everything from "let's find some Civil War guns" to playing games such as "next person to find a Colt SAA for Dad gets a candy bar"....pretty good stuff for a 12 and 14 year old.

They also get to see how the real world works.....from me negotiating and heavily inspecting a firearm from a seller that I am not familiar with, to watching a handshake deal with much less inspection with folks that I have done a lot of business with previously. Clearly the Gun Show environment has changed, but still worth taking kids and passing down the tradition.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Gun shows around here are put on by gun collectors associations, so they don't really allow much of the jerky/flea market stuff. Pretty much all guns and accessories and a little mil surplus mixed in. I enjoy going and seeing what I can find.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Went to a local gunshow a couple of weeks ago, while I didn't buy a gun.I did buy some beef jerky. A lot of foot traffic, but I think everyone around here that wanted a gun has one. Talking to the sellers after the show, they reported slow or no sales on firearms, ammo was slow, magazines were about the same, beef jerky sales were up.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Gosh I miss the gun show days of old when all the guns were collectible and under priced.....

Seems every old fart has a smart phone now and can show you one almost just like the one he has listed on the inter web. for way more than his....

And in the old days people wanted to sell not just tell you they don't need your money....

I still find a deal know and then....wouldn't it be great if every gun show had mint guns for half price just like the old days....RR

·
Registered
104 Posts
At the show in Richmond VA this past Saturday there was a table full of Pythons. They were definitely pythons but not made by Colt. These were real living and breathing pythons! I am talking live reptiles. The vendor also had a various lizards and other reptilian species. This was a first for me, I have seen the jewelry, jerky, and such but never live snakes at a gun show. Who knows what may show up next!

David

1 - 20 of 62 Posts