Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a great day with a gun buddy visiting our local gun show. He walked away with a nice rifle and I finally found a Trooper Mark III in a barrel length different from my snakes (and not a 357). Most importantly, I've wanted a Trooper Mark III to remind me of my Dad's '70's 6 inch 357. Unfortunately, he sold it before he moved stateside so we couldn't keep it in the family. I'm sure he's looking down now and smiling! Can't wait to take it to the range tomorrow!

Trooper MkIII-1.jpg Trooper MkIII-2.jpg Trooper MkIII-3.jpg

This is my first Mark III so I was surprised to see that the hammer is not blued or in white but is color case hardened. A Google search confirmed a post by our resident expert, dfariswheel, that Colt used color cased hardened hammers on the Mark III models. It adds a nice touch!

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I have both a bright nickel and electroless nickel Mark III revolvers. The bright nickel piece has polished blue hammer and trigger and the e-nickel examples have matching e-nickel hammers and triggers.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,664 Posts
Over the years I owned a few Colt Trooper Mark III's, one in .357 and the rest in .22LR.
Most of the .22's were 6 inch versions, which were a perfect revolver to learn how to really shoot double action.
These Mark III's in .22 are HEAVY and make for a very steady platform for DA shooting.
The massive cylinder tends to rotate to the next chamber on it's own once you start it moving.
It quickly got to the point that I seldom ever used them in single action.

The last one I owned (now residing in a nephews gun safe) is this 4 inch .22. My friends called it "The Chunk" due to the weight.

Mark III Left.jpg

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I love MKIII's and MKV's. Here's the rest of my MKIII collection.
6" nickel 1975
4" blue 1976
4" nickel 1977
4" blue 1978
4" blue .22 1979 (shown in a previous post page 1 of this thread)
4" blue 1983 with a rare factory vented barrel

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Over the years I owned a few Colt Trooper Mark III's, one in .357 and the rest in .22LR.
Most of the .22's were 6 inch versions, which were a perfect revolver to learn how to really shoot double action.
These Mark III's in .22 are HEAVY and make for a very steady platform for DA shooting.
The massive cylinder tends to rotate to the next chamber on it's own once you start it moving.
It quickly got to the point that I seldom ever used them in single action.

The last one I owned (now residing in a nephews gun safe) is this 4 inch .22. My friends called it "The Chunk" due to the weight.

View attachment 661523
dfariswheel; thanks for sharing your knowledge! You’re right, it IS heavy. My Diamondback 6 inch is also a 22 LR but, being a smaller frame, it’s nowhere as heavy. I primarily shoot SA but I’m going to try DA and see what you described. Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love MKIII's and MKV's. Here's the rest of my MKIII collection.
6" nickel 1975
4" blue 1976
4" nickel 1977
4" blue 1978
4" blue .22 1979 (shown in a previous post page 1 of this thread)
4" blue 1983 with a rare factory vented barrel
Wow! Nice collection. Personally, I’ve got the snakes I wanted and I’m thinking I want to pursue the Troopers some more!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, had some time this morning and I took the Trooper to the range. As others have noted, it’s accurate! Bench supported, 25 yards:

357676E6-3F71-4157-B7B7-A9F58129FF23.jpg

One flyer, suspect the ammo not the shooter :rolleyes:. Looking forward to the next trip!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts