Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at a gun show in Maryland today and found no less than two Pythons. One was a nickel finish, not bad, but no box. Almost bought it, but it had something I've never seen before. In addition to the usual turn line near the back of the cylinder there were two faint lines in parallel about 1/8" apart midway on the cylinder. Has anyone ever seen this, and if so, what is it from?

Anyway, I'm glad I skipped the nickel finished I also found this stainless beauty, serial no. K46XXX, NIB, never fired. The gun dealer who sold it to me said it was from her personal collection. There is no turn line at all and the finish is perfect. So I bought it, and can now send my other Python back to Colt for a tuneup without missing it too much. Now the eternal question: to fire or not to fire? Thoughts?

SSPython2.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Anyway, I'm glad I skipped the nickel finished I also found this stainless beauty, serial no. K46XXX, NIB, never fired. The gun dealer who sold it to me said it was from her personal collection. There is no turn line at all and the finish is perfect. So I bought it, and can now send my other Python back to Colt for a tuneup without missing it too much. Now the eternal question: to fire or not to fire? Thoughts?

View attachment 24351
PLEASE don't fire it. She's much too nice for that.
Sell it to me instead... LOL

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
The screw right above the trigger on the left side can get loose and when the cylinder is rotated against it can cause the extra lines on the cylinder that you described. What a shame.

As for the new stainless one you just bought, sounds like you already have a shooter grade Python. This one certainly has serious safe queen potential. These days it's not so easy to find an untouched Python with all the goodies like this one. The value is only going up on this kind of gun. Your gun, you decide. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Beautiful Python -- congratulations! :)

ETA

It's a safe queen IMHO.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Looks like you have an E-Nickel Python. Not stainless. It's a common mistake. Is there and "S" stamped in the ejector rod recess on the left side of the barrel?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you have an E-Nickel Python. Not stainless. It's a common mistake. Is there and "S" stamped in the ejector rod recess on the left side of the barrel?
I don't have the gun yet as Maryland makes you wait a week for a background check. Looking at a picture of the recess, I'm not sure if that's an 'S' I see or not. When I looked on gun broker I saw one with a similar serial number that was listed as stainless, so I thought I was safe. If it's not I may try to get my money back.

SSPython Serial No.jpg

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Well, a lot would depend on what you paid. An Enickel gun is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe someone knows how many of these where made. I don't see them too often, so it may be it was worth the price. But if it is enickel and you can prove it, maybe you could get some money back and keep the gun.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't have the gun yet as Maryland makes you wait a week for a background check. Looking at a picture of the recess, I'm not sure if that's an 'S' I see or not. When I looked on gun broker I saw one with a similar serial number that was listed as stainless, so I thought I was safe. If it's not I may try to get my money back.

View attachment 24353

Yup, it's E-Nickel. The case is not original. It's essentially a excellent condition 6" e-nickel python. I say shoot the rifling out of it. Hope you didn't pay stainless prices for it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
looks like marks on every other cylinder from factory test fire, if so, that would be a positive. like broknaxi says, depends on what you paid, maybe you can get some cheese back and keep a nice gun? Or, if it was really cheap just send it here! Far as gun broker, some of those people don't know either. Question them also about original box, as it wasn't plastic.

·
Registered
777 Posts
There are many shooter grade Pythons out there but not many unfired Pythons. I would not fire it and buy a shooter. I just sold an unfired LNIB blue Python Elite for a price I could not refuse and the new owner will shoot it. He must have a lot of money to fire an unfired Python and because of what he paid for it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was following this thread and am not well versed on my Python terminology. Would somebody mind clarifying what E-nickle refers to with the finish?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was following this thread and am not well versed on my Python terminology. Would somebody mind clarifying what E-nickle refers to with the finish?
Electroless Nickel; also known as Royal Coltguard on the Pythons (and just Coltguard on the other firearms that recieved it). It was available from 1981-1983 although there have been custom shop guns as early as 1979 that had the finish. It looks a lot like stainless, but it is a satin nickel.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
It doesn't appear to be stainless. The 's' would be more apparent as shown here.

Speaking for myself only, I'd keep the e-nickel gun.

001.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts