Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just venting a bit: I arrived early at a 1-day gun show yesterday observed the dealers were trading amongst themselves. I understand this goes on all the time and casually noticed that the trading pieces were exceptionally nice, unlike many of the guns displayed on tables. Sure wish that I could have had a shot at examining and possibly purchasing some of that good stuff. Left the show with my Gun Fund intact, Oh well.

-Bob

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Although their aren't many gunshows in Holland, this is a common practice seen during any other kind of show. No difference in antique or other collectibles fair or show.

Best way to get a hand in during preopeningtrading is to get a table at the show yourself.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bob; As Bubba Clinton would say,"I feel your pain,Bob". Yeah,goes on all the time,Friday nights around here,but at least they are dealers. Major reason why,at least with some dealers,is that one of their clients,who may not be attending the show(or maybe is!!) has asked them to look for a certain gun,and they have a ready sale for it to the client.

What P'O's me even more,is the "picking" that goes on BEFORE a general estate auction. It is one thing for the survivors to keep out guns,antiques etc.,but over the last decade or so,some of the top auction houses here in N. New England,will "cherry pick" the best guns,militaria,advertising, art work etc.,then have a speciality auction with only guns,toys etc once or twice a year! Naturally,"collectors" of those items show up or absentee bid,which jacks the prices up(and of course helps the survivors(but often the auctioneer will "buy the items" before the general auction.

Sorry for the "rant",but I can recall going to some "estate auctions" a "few" years ago,and being the only "gun person",railroad buff,metal toy truck collector, in the hall,and getting some great buys!

Just another indication of how life sucks as I get older,and recall the "good old days".

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm jealous of the buying public,,so don't feel pregnant dude.I don't know how many guns I see comeing into the show and if you stake out the front door you got 1st crack at em.I heard of a NIB 4" Anaconda sell before the guy got in for $450.The guys at the table have to wait for them to come to them.Now you know why the tables by the front door are always a premium....If you know your guns from a distance don't be shy and just go ask the guy what's he got?I look for Colt boxes and I'll trip over people to get to them to be the first to be blunt and ask him if it's for sale or trade...guideing him to my table if he wants to trade and tell him to see what he likes for a trade...then the P.T.Barnum comes into play.

But as far as the buying a table bit is correct.Gun shows were originally meant to be put on by a local gun club where the dealers can get together and buy and sell.When I was doing watch shows the public wasn't even allowed in.It was for only NAWCC members,,,period.Part of that was to keep out the flea market types and also to keep from paying local and state sales tax.You don't have any theifs at a watch show like you do at a gun show either.

My advice is get a table,even if you have to share it with someone.After awhile the guys will get to know you and you too can be brought into the inner circle and get some of the guns that aren't offered to the public.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts