Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I retired, I lived in the Houston area and went to the gun shows at the Astro Dome Complex, George R. Brown Convention Center and the Pasadena. At that time there was dealers and indviduals selling, since then the rules has changed with phone calls needed prior to buying.

My question is at guns shows now are there only dealers or are there individuals selling? At my age I am tired of waiting for permission to purchase a gun, old and cranky.

I have wanted to go to the Tulsa Show, but if it's all dealers, no use in going.

Thanks

rde

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
RDE,
There are both private sales and FFL sales. I go twice a year and have a ball. My son and grandson usually drive down from Illinois. I also set up at the Houston Gun Collectors Show at the Reliant Hall. If you come down for that you cn use my table as a base of operations. We will talk when we hook up on the other issue.
Mike

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Before I retired, I lived in the Houston area and went to the gun shows at the Astro Dome Complex, George R. Brown Convention Center and the Pasadena. At that time there was dealers and indviduals selling, since then the rules has changed with phone calls needed prior to buying.

My question is at guns shows now are there only dealers or are there individuals selling? At my age I am tired of waiting for permission to purchase a gun, old and cranky.

I have wanted to go to the Tulsa Show, but if it's all dealers, no use in going.

Thanks

rde
All you need in Tulsa is a pocket full of hundred dollar bills and a Cowboy hat and your in business.

John

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
speaking of pasadena, i picked up this nice cobra for $400 saturday morning.
bought it off of a guy standing in line to get in, like i was.
the best deals usually don't require paperwork, anyway. :) colt cobra 1.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pasadena was always my favorte show.

The worst shows are in East Texas, I quit going to them.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Conroe is new worst. Saxet pulled out and I think High Caliber has it now. More guns are sold in the lobby than past the gate. But if you don't go in how are going to see all holsters, flashlights beef jerky, hair extensions, ear rings and cotten candy vendors.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Thanks

rde
The original question was skirted. Yes, there are both dealers and individuals both selling at most shows. BUT, if you are out of state or they (including dealers) are, it is an issue. Depending on the gun and the states involved, you generally cannot legally buy and take delivery directly from an individual or dealer in/from another state. So, there is paperwork and permission involved. I'll let those who do it every week give details if necessary. :cool:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The original question was skirted. Yes, there are both dealers and individuals both selling at most shows. BUT, if you are out of state or they (including dealers) are, it is an issue. Depending on the gun and the states involved, you generally cannot legally buy and take delivery directly from an individual or dealer in/from another state. So, there is paperwork and permission involved. I'll let those who do it every week give details if necessary. :cool:
The original question was about Tulsa. Yes there are Dealers and individuals selling and buying. There are 4000 tables of which at least half are individuals as well as hundreds if not thousands walking around with things to sell or trade. As they say in N'awlins " Let the Good Time Roll!"

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The original question was about Tulsa. Yes there are Dealers and individuals selling and buying. There are 4000 tables of which at least half are individuals as well as hundreds if not thousands walking around with things to sell or trade. As they say in N'awlins " Let the Good Time Roll!"
I buy me a brand new pair of 993 New Balance walking shoes on Friday before the show, and throw them away first thing Monday morning. They are wore out and so am I.

John

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Pasadena was always my favorte show.

The worst shows are in East Texas, I quit going to them.
Boy, you just ain't whistlin Dixie there :)....Trade Days (Canton) started having one attached to it about 5-6 years ago and was a small room with maybe 20 tables and a $5 buy in. Most worthless show to date I ever saw. Tyler has one every 2 or 3 months and was the same old same old and stopped going years ago. When we moved to West Texas our options increased though there are still some out thisaway that aren't worth reading about much less attending.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A word of caution: only FFL holders may transfer a firearm across state lines. ATF has been cracking down on this in Georgia I am told, by conducting sting sales in parking lots. If you buy one in OK but are from TX, you MUST find a dealer from Texas to facillitate the deal. Private sales count on that one. Last time I did that, I verified the seller's Ga. residency by looking at his driver's license. Do it right!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
A word of caution: only FFL holders may transfer a firearm across state lines. ATF has been cracking down on this in Georgia I am told, by conducting sting sales in parking lots. If you buy one in OK but are from TX, you MUST find a dealer from Texas to facillitate the deal. Private sales count on that one. Last time I did that, I verified the seller's Ga. residency by looking at his driver's license. Do it right!
My point exactly. Thank you. :)

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I think the term is "straw sale" or "straw deal" . I can't remember which term North Carolina and other areas call it.. when individuals sale to other individuals directly. All the same rules apply actually. Pistol permits required. FFL paperwork. etc. And certainly out of state sale supposed to go through an FFL dealer. Not saying how its done.. just saying how its "sposta be". .. And I've also "heard" the best deals require no paperwork. But the worst would be a deal with no paperwork and an ATF officer. :)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
At Tulsa there are plenty of FFL's from Texas to handle a transfer. If you are into C&R eligiable, most licenses are issued in less than 30 days so you have plenty of time to work that route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for your sharing of knowledge, I do appreciate it. Glad I did not make a road trip unprepared.

What is, "If you are into C&R eligiable"? To those who fish, it's "Catch and Release".

Seems now every place I read there are abbreviations and texting abreviations that I do not understand, how come folks just cannot put things where us old people can understand, sure would make things easier?

Again, thanks.

rde

·
Registered
759 Posts
C&R is an abbreviation for a Federal Curios and Relics Firearms Collectors License. Most just use C&R. It allows the holder to purchase firearms that are curios and relics (in general, any firearm over 50 years old or on the ATF C&R Eligible List), without having to transfer through an FFL. So, if you are say a resident of Texas and you purchase a C&R firearm in Oklahoma (or just about any other State), you don't need to have an FFL handle the transfer; you show (or send) the seller a copy of your license, he records the info for his "bound book" (shorthand for the ATF recordkeeping requirement of purchases and dispositons records to be kept in a bound book) and you are on your way. You can also have a C&R firearm shipped to your residence through USPS. It's good only for C&R eligible firearms and a list of those firearms are on the ATF web site. Easy ATF application to fill out, nominal cost, generally minimal hassle, but you do have to keep the required records. The drawback is some dealers will not sell to a C&R and will require the transfer through an FFL, and some States won't honor it for in-person sales (Massachusetts for one). There are several threads on here about the C&R and a good web site C&R License Issues Forum. Note - it does not allow you to buy and sell firearms for a profit or in a business. You must obtain an FFL for that.

Hope above is helpful. Just don't mistake a C&R for an FFL. Big difference.

BlackDog

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, makes sense now.

This is a great place to come, read and learn.

Getting old and staying in the woods has it draw backs at times.

rde

1 - 18 of 18 Posts