Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a Colt manual the other day and Colt mentioned using wax as a preservative on revolvers. Anyone know anything about this treatment and what kind of wax are they talking about?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been using Renaissance Wax for about two years on all my guns. It works on blue, nickel, and stainless. I read about it in the Rifleman and decided to give it a try. Here's a web site that describes it:

http://www.restorationproduct.com/

Do a Google search for more info on Renaissance Wax. If you search on some of the other gun forums, you'll find more info.

Some people use Johnson's paste wax and others use auto wax. If you use auto wax, make sure it has no cleaning/polishing material in it. Some auto waxes will harm the blue or nickel finish.

Renaissance Wax can be hard to find. I found only one store in Tucson that carries it and it was a high dollar wood store.

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was similarly inspired to clean and wax my collection by an article in Man at Arms that described the techniques conservators use on very high-ticket items. All I had at hand was Butcher's wax, so that's what I used. It doesn't have the favored microcrystalline base of Renaissance, but is still Carnauba.

I'm very happy with the results after a year. As the article stated, the guns do not pick up dust, nor do they show fingerprints, and the wax does impart a nice even shine. In 35 years rior to that, I have tried nothing (bare metal) in a low-humidity environment, mil-spec oil, and silicone cloth. I really like the wax best.

For the guns I shoot periodically, I use a silicone cloth on the exterior with oil in the bore and chambers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been using Flitz Wax, not the polish, for awhile now and I like it. I know guys who swear by Renaissance Wax, too. I went with the Flitz product since it was available locally and since I tried it I've had no reason to change.
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts