Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've notice quite a few references by members to GB but none for gunsinternational.com
Have any of you had bad experiences with gunsinternational.com or do you just prefer GB?

Thanks for your replies......

·
Registered
498 Posts
My experience with gunsinternational is that they have many great guns, but the asking prices are usually very high to outrageous.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
GunBroker is an auction site; GunsInternational is a bulletin board site. Most prefer auction sites, especially in trying to learn actual sale prices as opposed to asking prices that are unrealistic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ive bought 2 guns from Guns International dealers, but, not directly off of the site itself. In both cases I called the dealer and made offers cheaper than what was listed and they both jumped on the deal.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I have bought guns listed on Guns International but, like smokehaus, I contacted the party directly to close the deals. I notice that Keystone has a few guns posted there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hummmm......great info. The direct calls to the sellers is something I haven't done yet but I'll do it in the future. I agree,,,,,,GI prices are outrageous...

Thanks again for your posts...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I got tired of paying the Gunbroker monthly fee (around $2k) so awhile back I moved all my guns to Gunsinternational under a platinum membership for a flat rate of $150 per month. I thought it was great during the Summer months, guns were selling and I said to myself "Who needs Gunbroker"? Well, come that fall guns were starting to sell for just plain stupid money and my listings were flat on gunsinternational, I was saving a bunch of fees but losing a bunch of inflated sales. I switched back and thought I would give it a Real World opportunity to slate the two sites against each other. The same day I listed a gun on Gunbroker I listed it also on G.I. the guns ALWAYS sold on gunbroker and I had to go to G.I. to end the listing. I talked with the owner of the site and the response was "Everyone else is doing Great!", I knew I was losing money.

The Auction format of Gunbroker is a sellers best friend and your wallets worst enemy. The Classified ad site of Gunsinternational takes all the Testosterone fueled bidding out of the equasion and you get much less money on G.I. than G.B.

I did learn on G.I. very quickly that you do have to list your guns at inflated prices because you cannot push a button to buy a gun there, you have to email or pick up the phone and call. Of course 90% of people called and you know the first words out of their mouth right?..."What will you really take". If you need $2000 for a gun, you list it on G.B. for $2000. If you need $2000 out of that gun and list it on G.I., you list it for $2500 so you can get beat to death on the phone by every lowball offer in the country and still be where you need to be when the fight comes to an end.

Gunsinternational is a relaxed "Gentlemans" site for the lack of something better to call it. Gunbroker is filled with Egos, Selfishness, and pissin' matches all of which translates into more $$$$. Just check completed listings over the past 45 days on gunbroker for "Python", you will see all of the above.

A Dealers Perspective on the G.B. Vs. G.I.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cons and scams occur mostly on auction sites, ie. GunBroker. Since GI is a classified site, pre-paid fee up front, and required communication to close the deal, this usually deters the criminal. Have never been scamed on GI. But as previously mentioned: pricey.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love your detailed response...Keystone! Thanks for taking the time to educate me......

Regards....John Wilson

·
The Consummate Collector
7,513 Posts
Cons and scams occur mostly on auction sites, ie. GunBroker. Since GI is a classified site, pre-paid fee up front, and required communication to close the deal, this usually deters the criminal. Have never been scamed on GI. But as previously mentioned: pricey.
I have bought and sold on both and Marc gave a good comparison. The upside of buying on GI is you don't have to worry about getting scammed as the folks at GI have the sellers info and credit card info. They know who is listing on there site. Also you can talk to a real person at GI and that's next to impossible at GB. Very nice people at GI.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Marc, why still listing on GI then?
It doesn't hurt a thing to leave a few over there listed. The phone rings occasionally and I sell one off the site. It's nice to save the seller fees. I dropped my Platinum membership down to a $20 a month membership so I figure I should put the $20 to good use.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
What are the thoughts of the board on Gunsamerica? Years ago in the old format it was my favorite of all but I haven't purchased anything from there since (although I do look regularly).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bought a very nice rifle on GI with no problems. Instead of calling the seller I just emailed him my offer which was accepted. I never go to GA anymore. Seemed like every time I saw a gun that looked interesting it was sold. They leave the sold item up too long and it kept ticking me off.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
GunsAmerica is definately the Armpit of the Sites in my opinion. Never know what the heck is available, not available, sold, being held for better offers, it's just nonsense.

I will tip everyone off so you might have a fighting chance at actually getting a firearm....

If you see a gun for sale and would like to purchase it, pushing the button to submit a offer is probably only 10% effective unless you happen to be the last person to submit the offer before the seller reads his email. Yep, I would be willing to gander the LAST person to submit the offer is the first person who gets contacted by the seller because it is the first email they read in the mailbox.

If you spot a item you would like to purchase check the sellers name and hope it is a business name or a FFL name. Google search the name...Let's say I were selling the gun and my user name was Keystone Arms. Try to get a contact phone number and call me directly. The seller is under no obligation to sell it to someone who submitted an offer to buy so if you have him on the phone, it is very easy to close the deal. If the sellers name is random and there is no way to contact them direct, try sending a email but your odds of actually making a purchase go way down.

While i'm throwing G.A. under the bus I will spout off about another feature I HATE about that site.....I submit a offer to buy, google the name, and call the seller immediately. They answer, I pay with a credit card and the deal is done. A few weeks later I try to sign into G.A. and it reads "Your account has been closed". Some sellers don't want to pay G.A. their seller fee so instead of being honest they mark it as a non paying bidder and G.A. doesn't ask questions they just close your account. I have emailed G.A. several times and asked to have my account reopened because I did infact follow through and completed the sale.

One last dig, hate having that awful pop-up show up on my screen asking me to sign in all the time. If I want to sign in, I'll sign in. Why bother me with this needless waste of time?

If GunsAmerica ever looks at the bottom line and wonders why they can't keep up with the other sites, it's pretty easy to see why IMHO.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,179 Posts
I have bought and sold on both and Marc gave a good comparison. The upside of buying on GI is you don't have to worry about getting scammed as the folks at GI have the sellers info and credit card info. They know who is listing on there site. Also you can talk to a real person at GI and that's next to impossible at GB. Very nice people at GI.
You have some very nice items listed on GB. Here is a link to my favorite. By the way, I do not know thecoltguy Colt Bankers Special .22 in the box 22 : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Good info about GA. In the 'good old days' of a few years ago GunsAmerica was like Craigslist for guns. Very easy to navigate, good pictures, and what appeared to be little interference from the owners. I scored several deals that will probably not be replicated.

Once the format changed the site went in the tank. Harder to navigate, pictures don't seem as good, and the aforementioned buying problems. It really is a marvel how badly that site changed.

Like most GB is my go to, however I do get annoyed with all of over priced stuff floating around the site for years. I understand they want clicks so they don't charge relisting fees (I don't think), however it would be nice to see it cleaned up.

GI is decent but I have never completed a deal there. Seems like many of the listings are from Cabela's or other stores which can be comforting to guard against scams.

I like jackthedog's auctions on gunauction.com (used to be Auction Arms). Other than his stuff there seems to be little reason to visit that site.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts