Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
The polishing doesn't look like factory Colt work...but that could be the lighting and photography. It also doesn't show the end label of the box which would have the model number (if the label wasn't counterfeited). The seller doesn't have much of a rating yet but all have to start somewhere. Claiming unfired like all seem to be is something to be leery of. The Rampant Colt on the side plate doesn't look correct...like someone tried to engrave over the original roll stamp.

I'd say considering the asking price be very careful before deciding.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Late T serials are all over the map. This could be '89 to '91 easily.
The fuzzy medallions look sort of like the 150 years medallions.

The important thing is--- is no verification of original BSTS.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The polishing doesn't look like factory Colt work...but that could be the lighting and photography. It also doesn't show the end label of the box which would have the model number (if the label wasn't counterfeited). The seller doesn't have much of a rating yet but all have to start somewhere. Claiming unfired like all seem to be is something to be leery of. The Rampant Colt on the side plate doesn't look correct...like someone tried to engrave over the original roll stamp.

I'd say considering the asking price be very careful before deciding.
That box would not have a label on it. That box would have had the picture box style sleeve.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The finish does not appear to be factory. IIRC the "VP" and inspector stamp on the left side of the gun would have been applied after final polish.They both appear to be soft which would lead me to believe that it's an aftermarket polish job. Box is aftermarket. JMO D*

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
As noted above, plus no inspection period.
Vic

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
A guy selling with +12 rating,on a $3000 gun with no inspection period? Box certainly doesn’t look right for the time period. Even if it had an end label doesn’t really help in 2019 with the years of new labels being sold every day. You can find a BSTS on GB from a REPUTABLE person, you might have to wait but for that kind of money it’s a no brainer. Pete.

·
Registered
451 Posts
it appears to be a 85-87 gun if correct....two pin site...150 aniv grips...etc......but i wouldnt buy any python bright ss gun without a letter ....unless it was very cheap...maroon 150 anv box ....etc

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Pythons with 2 front sight pins are usually considered pre-90's as a rough rule of thumb - pythons with the single front sight pins are usually 90's or later.

The medallions are the half horse medallions and do not have the 150 in them. Thus, they are basically '87 or later medallions. And the hard shell box is typical of the late '80's pythons with the picture box wrapper.

Being a high T-series SN, this python is a strike years ('86-'91) python where some of the serial number tracking seems to be a little lacking.

As for BSTS - I prefer to deal with a well recognized seller or to have either a letter or label.
medallion_half_horse.JPG

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Pythons with 2 front sight pins are usually considered pre-90's as a rough rule of thumb - pythons with the single front sight pins are usually 90's or later.
Certainly true- as a generality- but we have also seen 2-pin barrel reported as '90 DOS, with later-style dot matrix SN markings.
Some mix-and-match in that transition 80's -90's time, for sure.
Would be interesting to see both DOM's and DOS's on some of these....

Similar Colt proclivities can be seen in the SP1 early and later version transitions , and M16A1 to M16A2 transitions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
6" SS Python

I ended up buying the Python discussed in the forum. I contacted Colt and the verified the serial number on the gun as 1987. Didn't request a letter yet because I am not that concerned if it is factory BSTS. Most of the stainless Pythons on Gunbroker are aftermarket polished anyway. I haven't received the gun yet but have communicated with the seller numerous times. He is is a LEO and i felt comfortable with him. His credentials were impressive and I feel if I have any issues, he will stand behind the gun. Withholding his name but his information is below:

Acting Chief of Police
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Police
1500 East Woodrow Wilson Avenue
Jackson, Mississippi 39216
Office: (601) 368-4447
Dispatch: (601) 364-1234
Fax: (601) 368-4453

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
I think the box “issue” doesn’t matter on this gun with no sleeve (or not the right box). The smaller hard shell case/no foam inside with picture box sleeve is circa 1990-1996 on revolvers, possible could have been some in 1989 but I never saw any. All my 1986-1989 snakes were in Maroon anniversary and anniversary style boxes. However stuff still turns up from time to time I didn’t know about. Like that factory snub anaconda awhile back! I would definitely get a letter, I would lean towards aftermarket polish but don’t take that as certain.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I like what Gus says above . I have an 87 also with the maroon 150.
Box and label complete, but beat - long before fakes.
Bought used in 98 for under $600 OTD. I returned an ordered 6” blue,
because I didn’t care for ELITE roll mark or stocks.

Offered it ONCE on Forum for trade , and reached out ONCE to
local WTB ad, present for guys father - he chose Rolex.
All good , I just like blued better .
I think I told guy $3300.

i had NO reason to believe was not real deal , but checked Colts lookup.
Fortunately came up - with CORRECT model number.

These Pythons we’re hovering 4K for five years plus until the last couple years.
I think 3k right now is a decent price for buyer or seller for the real deal.
I also think box/package means squat in this thread listing .
I obviously could be mistaken though .

My BSTS Python was one of my first Colts , but REALLY wanted blue .
After chasing one for 20+ years ..... my wife got me one last Christmas,
first she’s ever bought me . I have no need to ever get rid of my BSTS now.

For kicks , I just entered OP’s number - NO DICE .

But the point of my post is you can get lucky with a BSTS snake gun verification.
I believe my 4” KING COBRA got a model number hit , but lettered - had no box.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts