Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always looking at Gunbroker to check prices on SAA's. Out of Hundreds of guns only a handfull of the guns I see have bids. Are people just using the site as a place to show the world they own a Colt, 90 percent of the guns on the site are not worth the price listed for a starting bid. Are there better online sites to shop ???

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
You have accurately estimated the number of guns on GunBroker that never get any bids. However, once in a great while, a gun that has been up for a year or more will finally get a bid at the opening bid price. Apparently, many are willing to wait for that unlikely occurrence. A relisting fee has been discussed as a way to force buyers to lower their opening bids, but that goes against the concept that an owner should be able to ask any price desired. (But maybe not for free forever ... ?)

GunBroker is the premier auction site, so you will not find another that does not have the same problem. The bulletin board sites are even worse, if you can believe it.
(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
On Gunbroker, there is an early 1950s Chiefs Special Airweight some schmuck has been trying to sell for about a year. It is well worn, has the aluminum cylinder (only about 3,000 made with aluminum cylinders), making it an early and rare variation. The finish is about a third gone, grips match but are worn pretty good. When I first noticed it that long ago, I called the FFL/Seller and I offered him $400 for it, being such an early Airweight even though it's not a clean gun. He turned me down. He's waiting for a sucker to come along and it costs him nothing to keep relisting this gun. If he had to pay listing fees he would probably be smart enough to list this gun at a reasonable price, but there is no incentive for him or some of these other jokers to do that.

To put this gun in perspective, there are about 120,000 members at the S&W Forum. By now I'd be willing to bet all of the S&W collectors who collect J frames have seen this gun. Nobody thinks it is worth his $500! That tells you something.
I see it relisted every week. If it was a pristine example it would have been sold at his $500 asking price by now. Keep in mind this is not a safe gun to shoot because of the aluminum cylinder. In v.g. or better condition, this gun would have sold even though you shouldn't shoot them, by a collector. But, not at that price and in that condition.

I thought of recontacting him recently, but decided it wasn't worth my time and I wouldn't consider budging above the price I offered him originally.

Judge Colt is correct when he tells you that Gunbroker is still about the best auction site on the internet. I read recently that they are considering charging listing fees to the sellers. I think it's a good idea. Maybe it will keep some of the overpriced guns off of their site. I have been both a buyer and a seller on Gunbroker, so I think I have a valid opinion.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,509 Posts
I use Gunbroker to sell a few guns from my collection a few times each year. I currently have a half dozen on there for sale and as always I start them at $5.00 and let them run there course. I have found that the buyers won't let a gun sell for next to nothing and most usually do just fine. I believe that buyers like to engage in the bidding process as opposed to a gun that starts out at the sellers dream price.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I read recently that they are considering charging listing fees to the sellers. I think it's a good idea. Maybe it will keep some of the overpriced guns off of their site. I have been both a buyer and a seller on Gunbroker, so I think I have a valid opinion.

Years ago, Auction Arms was the biggest gun auction site. They charged an annual user fee. Gunbroker did not. It didn't take long for people to migrate over to Gunbroker over a few dollars. If Gunbroker starts charging a listing fee and Auction Arms does not, I doubt it will take long for the roles to reverse again.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
The ones that don't sell are very overpriced. The ones that do sell are merely overpriced.

Gunbroker should charge a listing fee like Ebay, or at least let you filter out certain sellers when you search. Right now it's a pretty picture website to look at guns, or a site for the rich or uninformed. GB could make more money and clean up the joke by charging listing fees.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree there should be a listing fee, I have purchased from gunbroker and will in the furture. I think it is a good site. I also think there should be some way to weed out the folks that will likely never sell anything due to there unreal pricing. I also beleive if the gun is something worth bidding on it will bring a true market value even if started at a buck. But right now it is still a good place to look at pictures as someone else pointed out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts