Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much up to speed on the 1920s period of Ardmore, OK; family stories since my Father, Grandfather and uncles were in the middle of things politic and otherwise. Sorry is some of this is deja vu --

My Father's oldest brother fancied himself the head of the clan. My Dad, 20 years younger acted as his lieutenant and bodyguard, walking 5 steps behind him when out on the street. That uncle and my Grandfather (Mother's side) had offices above a drugstore. Hot July, uncle ventures down to the drugstore for a cool something at the soda fount, no jacket and no gun. On the landing down the stairs he is met by a a tough pair intent on working him over with brass knucks. Fortunately uncle hadn't forgotten his little Remington derringer and shot one of them in the leg, from his pants pocket, - who turned out to be the sheriff's (Buck Garrett) son Raymond.

There was a bit of corruption in politics in the teens and '20s. Uncle had bought a new Buick roadster that was promptly stolen. Couple days later my Dad sees it on the used car lot of the Buick dealer - he verified it because he checked out a tiny tear in the seat cover he had caused. Uncle says this is bigger than we are, insurance has agreed to pay so just left it alone.

Maybe 1949 I was driving & Dad tells me to pull over & stop, saying "this is where Bob got shot." That around 1922, Uncle was shot twice on a back street Sunday morning while driving with his wife. Car sideswiped by a drunk, uncle is arresting the perp, shoving him into the back seat, when he turns, shoots him twice in the belly, once from the front and again from the side as he fell. Not drunk at all, shooter drives away. My Dad said he watched Doc Hardy cut him open, pull his innards out, wash them, sew them up and put him back together. He didn't croak however; lived till 1950. Back in the day it was common to allow observers present in the OR.

Years later maybe 1949 I was visiting here and my Dad says you can't guess who came to see me. Raymond Garrett! There was a time we would have been reaching for our guns on sight - but we spent couple hours talking over old times.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
It's stories like this that are not in books that are great to hear about the real things that happened. Not fabricated stories. True life events. Thanks for sharing as always love to hear about true history.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Bob, it's pretty wild reading these first hand accounts about times long past where folks didn't get the memo that the wild west was supposedly over. And now decades later you're telling us about it on this contraption called a computer! visualizing this reminded me of this new violent TV show "Damnation" that just started set in the early '30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7yW7h0YkPI

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Thanks Mr Robert. Great story.

I worked in support at the flight engineer tech school at Altus in the 70's, as a young Airman. The *old Oakies that worked there -ran the place as GS's types were some great guys.

With plenty of bark and wool on them.

They had plenty of great stories, true ones imo. From the 20's and thirties when Oklahoma was still wild

One guy said "No problem to shoot a man- woman is a different story."

Took me aback.

His pard's said he was not joking- considering his history.

Never did found out what happened.

* They were in their 60's thought they were ancient. lol

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Years later maybe 1949 I was visiting here and my Dad says you can't guess who came to see me. Raymond Garrett! There was a time we would have been reaching for our guns on sight - but we spent couple hours talking over old times.
As they say, "Time wounds all heels."

Reactions: ei8ht and rhmc24

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Great story Robert, and you tell it so well I felt like I was there for goodness sake.

I guess back in the day just about everybody carried, and I suspect it kept a lot of folk rather respectful.

Wasn't it your Dad, Robert that owned a gun store? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else as my old one-cylinder brain just ain't what it used to be.

Anyway, thanks for the story Robert, loved it.

Bud

I'm pretty much up to speed on the 1920s period of Ardmore, OK; family stories since my Father, Grandfather and uncles were in the middle of things politic and otherwise. Sorry is some of this is deja vu --

My Father's oldest brother fancied himself the head of the clan. My Dad, 20 years younger acted as his lieutenant and bodyguard, walking 5 steps behind him when out on the street. That uncle and my Grandfather (Mother's side) had offices above a drugstore. Hot July, uncle ventures down to the drugstore for a cool something at the soda fount, no jacket and no gun. On the landing down the stairs he is met by a a tough pair intent on working him over with brass knucks. Fortunately uncle hadn't forgotten his little Remington derringer and shot one of them in the leg, from his pants pocket, - who turned out to be the sheriff's (Buck Garrett) son Raymond.

There was a bit of corruption in politics in the teens and '20s. Uncle had bought a new Buick roadster that was promptly stolen. Couple days later my Dad sees it on the used car lot of the Buick dealer - he verified it because he checked out a tiny tear in the seat cover he had caused. Uncle says this is bigger than we are, insurance has agreed to pay so just left it alone.

Maybe 1949 I was driving & Dad tells me to pull over & stop, saying "this is where Bob got shot." That around 1922, Uncle was shot twice on a back street Sunday morning while driving with his wife. Car sideswiped by a drunk, uncle is arresting the perp, shoving him into the back seat, when he turns, shoots him twice in the belly, once from the front and again from the side as he fell. Not drunk at all, shooter drives away. My Dad said he watched Doc Hardy cut him open, pull his innards out, wash them, sew them up and put him back together. He didn't croak however; lived till 1950. Back in the day it was common to allow observers present in the OR.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I just wrote a wild story on the Ruger chat site. I will put it here too.

I like story's like that. A old boy here told me a story of his uncle who was sheriff of Iron county Utah where we live. I don't know the year but maybe back in the 1930`s or 40`s?? He was checking out a complaint of sheep rustling or maybe it was stolen wool?? It was close to the Utah/Nevada border to the west of us. A man and woman that turned out to be criminals from somewhere back east got the drop on him and was considering shooting him. Just then a car went past and they were fairly near the road so decided to handcuff him around a cedar tree. They left him there cuffed but off the road where he wouldn't be spotted. Finally he was able to pick up a sharp stone. He used it to chop branches as he climbed up the tree and finally dropped out of the tree near the top! Took quite awhile. Later the pair were gunned down on the Arizona strip south of us. My friend said the story was wrote up in a true detective magazine. I haven't seen the old man in a number of years and he might have passed. I would like to find a copy of that magazine! A interesting side story is his uncles last name was Fife! That is a family name around here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts