Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad's gun shop is the source or scene of a lot a lot of events in my memory from the '50s till he passed in '76 --- also a source of a lot guns he handled & some stiii in the family: his nickel pYthon, a few SAAs & a Bisley, 1st model Merwin Hulbert, Reemington 760 .30.06 automatic he used on a lot of deer -- & others whose memory escapes --

A little shift of scene -- My best friend still looking down at grass rather than up at the roots, is retired from LA Homicide, certificated "legendary lawman" one of about 500 performers out of over 100K officers in history. We have much in common despite totally different careers, based on our stories, people experiences, politics & family history. He owns a motorcycle dealership for two biggest makes. One day visiting, in walks one of his customers, we're introduced, he asks if I am Mac's son who used have the gunshop, to which I pled guilty. He say I'm gonna tell you something you don't know about your Dad. I was in his shop 1960s when someone brings in a fiddle wanting to sell for $25. Mac says we don't handle musical instruments. AS the man walks out I asked Mac if he minded if I tried to buy it, says go ahead. I took it home, studied it & found the name Amati in it. Short story it's from the 1600s & I sold it for $20K & I wanted to pay Mac half of the 20K because he made it possible -- but Mac refused it saying it was totally my deal & he did nothing to earn it. Not surprising at all to me.

I told & thanked him for the story but knew something about the fiddle -- I was 10-12 years old & often passed by an old lady sitting on her front porch, we talked often & she was 77 & gave me a sugar cookie. One day I had a DIY wooden gun bringing back from show & tell. She had guns & showed me a .44 single bbl shotgun (same as a short .410), a .38 Colt PP & an owlhead top break all like new. Talking of old things brought out fiddle Amati 1600s a family relic then worth $6K (mid 1930s).

I got acquainted with her G-son 12 years older than me who ran his radio repair shop & had his ham station there. He got me interested in radio & started me making crystal sets & one tubes. Life went on, I set up my ham station in Afica & talked to my Parents thru his. Early '80s retired, rekindled the friendship & asked about the guns & fiddle, of which he had no memory. I really didn't have much gun-hope, he being a deacon in his church probably gave them the deep six ---->

Dad in front of his shop --

Me in Africa --

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Bob's story reminded me of when during the war we'd sit around the radio @ night listening to all the war news & old radio programs like the Inner Sanctum,Gangbusters,the Lone Ranger,Red Ryder & so many others & believe it or not I still have that old tube radio in my front room,it's in a solid walnut cabinet that stands about 3 1/2 ft tall & about 2 ft wide w/sliding walnut doors on it,the radio don't work anymore but it's a real keepsake,it even had a short wave band the could be used.The name on it on the dial face is American Overseas.I also had a crystal set that I built from a kit that was sold back then.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
An after thought about an old radio,there was a long black one stored out in back of the garage it was about 12"x12"x12"x12" square & probably 2 1/2 or 3 ft long w/a lot of dials all along the front of it if memory serves me right it was a battery operated Atwater Kent.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Something I remembered about the old antique radio I still have in my front room.Everyone has heard FDR's speech @ one time or another when he declared war on Japan,my granmma & granpa & me actually listened to that speech on this very same radio on the 8th of Dec. I remember asking granpa where Pearl Harbor was & he told me he wasn't exactly sure but that it was in the Pacific some where around Hawaii,not too many people back then had ever heard of it before.Awhile back I was going thru some old things of my mother''s & found a partially used book of rationing stamps so I gave them to my Grand daughter & exlplained what they were used for.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,170 Posts
Robert. The picture of you in front of your Ham rig brings back memories as I used to operate on 10 meters as well. I got my license back in 1953 and was KN8DLI. A year later I received my General class license and became K8DLI. When the skip was in 10 meters was great for talking around the world.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Robert. The picture of you in front of your Ham rig brings back memories as I used to operate on 10 meters as well. I got my license back in 1953 and was KN8DLI. A year later I received my General class license and became K8DLI. When the skip was in 10 meters was great for talking around the world.
Another interest we share! My first was $5 purchasing Pan Am's CW station in the Congo 1946. It had been moved from the Caribbean years before & was of mid-30s vintage. Warehoused, I got it to my staff-house room & set up; wrote in request for licence & got it by return mail with call letters OQ5CE. mY CW was terrible but my station was popular with CW ops flying the Congo, with friends back in Belgium, 40 meters I think. Couple months later my Hallicrafters xmtr arrived by boat & on 10 meter phone. WAC, 25 watts & 4 element beam antenna. QSO with another Pan Am employee on Wake Island. --- BaCk in NY ca.1960s I got commercial 2nd then 1st class FCC licenses but never used them altho kept renewing them about 15 years ----->

·
Premium Member
10,267 Posts
I had the 1st class FCC licenses before my ham radio licenses in the early 70's.
Both opened a lot of doors for me. Retired from Broadcasting but still active
as W8DRZ on the ham radio.

W8DRZ-01 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: LEO918 and rhmc24
1 - 10 of 10 Posts