Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bugs me a lot thinking about guns I didn't buy. I've regrets paying too much or selling too cheap but at least I had the gun for a while. No way to rationalize why I didn't buy, always for some trivial reason such as haggling & wouldn't pony up another ten or fifty dollars to meet his price.

Quite a few of them but my worst was ca. 1950 in France at a street market, a Colt Brevet Paterson carbine for about $100 with quite a lot of original finish. Colt Brevet was the French equivalent of Colt Patent, probably before it was common to just make pirate Colt copies. I knew a Paterson Colt was a great rarity but decided to walk around the market with my wife and think about it. Somehow, the next time it came to mind was when I was someplace else.

Offered as fodder for other experience & commentary.

·
Premium Member
6,209 Posts
I remember as a 5-6 year old kid playing with a MP40 in the back yard. My dad bought it at a auction for $5 and was told it was missing parts. We liked the toy guns better as they were lighter. Of course we often just left stuff lay in the yard and it turned up missing. With the amnesty of 11/68, it could have been made legit and worth over 10K now.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
I have never regretted paying a little too much for something I wanted, but have regretted not paying a little too much.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Many years back, I passed up a 4 in Kodiak thinking I could find one for less. Not realizing, at the time, how scarce they were, how desirable they would become, and the price would increase ten fold over the one I passed up.....:(

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
two fairly recent ones that come to mind were a nib 4" 45colt anaconda for 950. about a year and a half ago, and a mint nickel lawman snub for 675. about a year ago. there have been others.
hindsight can make you go crazy :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Passed on a Colt 1851 Navy a while back, A week after I passed on it the seller sold it for twice what he offered to me for :bang_wall:

·
Registered
717 Posts
In 1972 I got a job at a gunshop when I was 15. The owner was a collector of some very fine Colt and Winchester firearms. He offered me a 3rd Model Dragoon with a perfect bore and about 90% original finish left. He said I could take as long as necessary to pay if off, but he really thought it would be a great start to a collection. I can't remember why I passed or even how much he offered it to me for, but I still kick my self every time I think about it.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
A nice Ballard target rifle, with a ball lever and schuetzen buttplate, in .32. It was owned by the young guys grandfather, and he wanted about $800, about the going rate back 15 years ago. My wife came out in the garage as I was looking at it and gave me the "we can't afford it" look, so I passed. It had the folding Marbles front site with an ivory bead, and a folding rear site. Nice one, that's the only I really keep in my mind that I missed.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Yes I have regrets about not buying some, but I can say most I did buy:). Now trading or selling ones I had is a different story, I could be here A LONG TIME lol.
Just off the top of my head, here are the ones I regret the most NOT buying:
#1: A PERFECT 100% NIB 5 screw Smith pre-18 in the Gold Box for $995 plus tax. This was about 2-3 years ago. The gun was so perfect and I was getting ready to buy it, but my buddies talked me out of it saying it was $200 too high at the time. I was still going to buy it because I knew it was still worth it, but they kept on so I didn't. Only time I ever let someone talk me out of buying a gun I knew was 100% correct. The reason it makes me so sick is I know it will be hard for me to ever find another one like this, perfect gun, almost perfect box.
#2: A Roper Conversion Colt Officer's Model 3rd issue in 38 special for like $895 which was about a 99% gun. I found out later gun definitely had Roper Sights and Roper Hammer, but the grips didn't look like "regular style" Ropers. I thought they were maybe Sandersons but in hind sight probably were Ropers. I didn't know what the gun was when I looked at it, and when I went back to look at it again about an hour later that morning the more I thought about it, it was done gone lol. Also the dealer didn't know wheat it was, he just had it priced from the blue book on a regular mint 3rd issue at the time.
#3: A PERFECT NIB Smith 38/44 Outdoorsman (pre-23) in the Gold Box, 5 Screw, again box almost perfect too for $1000 plus tax lol about 3-4 years ago. A large collection of NIB Smiths had just came in this gun shop (largest in the area), and as soon as I saw them, I told my buddy, this gun was the best deal in the lot of about 50 guns of which about 75% were NIB or LNIB. Problem was there was some guns in there I wanted worse which were hard to find and funds were tight at the time. The reason I ranked this gun number 3 even though it is the most valuable and best deal, while I do like my N frames, I never cared much for the 38 N frames.
That is my top 3 I can think of right now. Of course I'm sure there are some others years ago, but that blame memory thing lol.:eek:

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Rent and Overhead vis-a-vie income have been my main frustration when poised to be buying an old Gun I have come across.

I would gladly eat Beans and Rice for a few months, or scrimp however to, do without just about anything, to pull it off, but, the routine Bills are the killer.

One which comes to mind, 90+ percent Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army in .44-40...at a local Gun Show. Last day of the Show, and, the Show had JUST closed, security had not coaxed out the last few stragglers, ( most dealers already packed up and gone or packing up to leave ) had a Price Tag on it $2,400.00...line through the Price, then $1,800.00 was written, line through that, $1,400.00. ( Three years ago I think ).

I examine it, looked just about brand new, Nickel Plate was just pristine. The Mechanism was goofed up somehow, binding internally, and would not cycle or cock. Open Top Model...

I ask Seller "Well? What is the next price when you cross out the last one?" He says $1,200.00.

I asked " Are you about to corss out the last one?" and he says "Sure, why not..."

I reasoned, this is a low LOW Mileage Revolver, most likely some secondary Spring had broken or come loose or something I could repair without hardship or disappointment.

If I got it, I would have Hell To Pay trying to invent $ in the short time left to Month's End, for Rent and so on...but, I reckoned I would likely never see one this nice ever again for such an affordable price...

And, I walked...I did not get it.

And as it was, Rent, Storage, Car Insurance, Power Bill, Phone Bill, all were due the following week and I had hell to pay just making those, without having spent the $1,200.00 on the MH.

Eeeeesh!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
In the early 90's I wanted a 4 inch Python,but between Mortgage,Maintenence,Car Insurance,Food ,and Child Support it was never to be.Now with prices hitting the roof it will remain a elusive dream unless I hit the lottery.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had an opportunity at an Anaconda First Addition that was unfired in the box for $900 a couple of years ago. I wish I had the money at the time.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
while reading through this thread I just thought of another one that really hurts :bang_wall:

a nib nickel 38spec. python target from the colt custom shop with the correct green label for 800.00 around 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Too many. Just the other day at an auction, I quit bidding on a nice 4 digit 1860 Army. Great bluing, scene, markings, just needed a hand or bolt (which I have). Sold for $1000. Couple of years ago at another auction I didn't even bid on a decent fluted 1860. Sold for under $1500.........depression kicks in..............:bang_wall:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts