Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on another site.
Guns Magazine makes available online old issues of the magazine.
This May 1957 issue has a write up on Colt Master pistolsmith Arnold Goodwin and how he repaired Colt revolvers.

Also interesting are the ads for guns. $125. for a new Colt SAA !!!!!!!!!

http://gunsmagazine.com/1957issues/G0557.pdf

Many of these magazine issues are from the heyday of the surplus gun imports. The guns available will make you drool.
Prices are actually often slightly higher then today's prices when inflation is taken into account.
A look into a totally different era in America.
I remember the US Postman delivering rifles to my front door when I was 18, and NO ONE thought it was in any way strange, threatening, or dangerous.

https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-guns-magazine-editions/

·
Registered
180 Posts
I hear you dfariswheel - people see you with a gun and they think you are some kind of nut. I don't understand how society could have changed so dramatically in a single generation. It is really sad that the gun culture is so politically incorrect. I find people express a lot of interest in my collection one on one, but they bend to societal pressure and won't engage in shooting sports because of what people will think.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Found this on another site.
Guns Magazine makes available online old issues of the magazine.
This May 1957 issue has a write up on Colt Master pistolsmith Arnold Goodwin and how he repaired Colt revolvers.

Also interesting are the ads for guns. $125. for a new Colt SAA !!!!!!!!!

http://gunsmagazine.com/1957issues/G0557.pdf

Many of these magazine issues are from the heyday of the surplus gun imports. The guns available will make you drool.
Prices are actually often slightly higher then today's prices when inflation is taken into account.
A look into a totally different era in America.
I remember the US Postman delivering rifles to my front door when I was 18, and NO ONE thought it was in any way strange, threatening, or dangerous.

https://gunsmagazine.com/classic-guns-magazine-editions/
See if u can find their 50th anniversary issue w/an article by John Taffin about the 2 Great Western's given to them in 1955.

·
Registered
8,733 Posts
That first ad show a 7MM Remington rolling block for $14.95. I have that gun that my dad bought before I was born. I remember him telling me when I was a kid that he paid fourteen bucks for it. I hope they have a lot of these old issues available. There were tons of fast draw articles in them up through the 1960s.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane. I really enjoyed reading some of the articles and marveling at some of the prices. Great post.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I was 16 in 1957. I recall slobbering over those "cheap"???? guns. They seemed just as hard or harder to buy at the 1/9 th prices my inflation calculator says they are now. Lets see: I made $1.00 a hour working for Green Giant Cannery but only for the three month school summer vacation. When it rained we didn't work. Even so, I remember buying a new Winchester 94 for I think, $65s. Still have it. Also a Marlin 62 Levermatic and soon a Marlin 39. Gas was about 20 cents for my 1946 Whizzer motorbike and my 1942 Studebaker. That old Studebaker Commander would do about 85 or 90 on my way to Ripon Wisconsin to Green Giant. Mom said I would never make 21.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've been going back through and reading all the magazines they have from 1955. I've noticed some really fantastic stuff towards the back of each issue, Adlai Stevenson-hunter, Bob Stack-upcoming actor and much more. There's a lot of rainy day reading there, thanks again for posting these fine memories!

(and being an Ithaca 37 nut, the magazines remind me of just how popular the '37 shotgun was back then kids today just look in wonderment at a '37)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Lets see: I made $1.00 a hour working for Green Giant Cannery but only for the three month school summer vacation.
Was that in Belvidere, Illinios? I too worked there the summer of 1957. I had just turned 16 the previous fall. I starting smoking at that time and told my mom since I was 16 I could smoke if I wanted to. I recall several things from the job at Green Giant that are still fresh in my mind; living in the barracks, watching the Jamaicans sugar up their milk and getting ran out of Rockford one night by the local hoods. Had a variety of jobs from mixing brine for canned corn to boxing frozen peas for Campbell. Came home and bought my clothing for my Junior year in high school with the money I made. Best clothes I had up to that time....ah the good ol' days! Guns? Let's see; I had a .410 single shot, Central Arms, St. Louis that my dad bought used from a local gas station guy and my mom bought me a Winchester 67A from Western Auto for my 16th birthday. It cost $18.00. I still have them both. Regards.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
That was in Ripon Wisconsin. Worked there also at 16, 17 and 18 which would be 1957, 1958 and maybe 1959. I think everyone got a straight buck a hour. Seemed anyone who wanted a job could get one there during the corn and pea seasons. Mostly stacked cases on pallets as they came off the line. I really liked the peas with the little onions they would put in sometimes. We used to have a steam hose in a burlap bag full of sweet corn always going. Every time we got hungry reach in and get a cob. About the only job perk. I also recall when they brought Jamaicans up for the job. My old best friend lived at Beloit. Worked for Chrysler at Rockford and along with it was the wrestling coach at the college.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts