Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody;

Jim Martin was having a little trouble getting these up on the forum so I thought I'd help him out a little. These guns, all built by Jim, are what are known as "Cattle Brand" guns and they depict cattle brands of Arizona. Everything you see here, barrels, brands, and all internal tuning was done by Jim, including these fabulous Desert Ironwood grips.

So here you are, and be careful not to drool all over your keyboard lads.

For Jim

Bud

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Lumber Table Font Calligraphy Material property Label Paper Text Font Material property Wood Font Illustration Still life Metal Gun Revolver

Some of you who a newer to the Colt Forum might not know, or have heard of Jim Martin so I'd like to give you just a little peek into the background of this man. Since Jim is a good friend, I don't think he'll mind too much, me telling you this.

First off, Jim has been around the Colt Single Action Army revolver for a very long time. There's one story that tells how Jim, as a small boy living in Southern California, would sneak into the "Nevada Theater" in Nevada City, California on Saturday mornings to watch those old cowboy movies. The guy that used to help Jim sneak in was a young (little known) performer by the name of Samuel Longhorne Clemens. You can read about Mr. Clemens here if you like.

All joking aside though (Jim's not that old yet), Jim is known far and wide as the man to go to when it comes to the inner (and outer) workings of a Colt Single Action Army. For example, if you look inside the Colt Single Action shop manuals of Jerry Kuhnhausen you'll find Jim Martin's name there as a consultant to Mr. Kuhnhausen in the technical aspects of the Colt Single Action Army.

Thanks Jim.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A correction about the capture of Geronimo.

Thanks to Will Terry, I now have the correct information about who captured Geronimo. It wasn't Leonard Wood, it was General George Crook who Geronimo surrendered to at Canyon de Los Embudos at Senora, Mexico. The link will show you a terrific piece on the capture of that great American Indian, Geronimo.

I do believe that if history were to measure Geronimo by white man standards he would be thought of in history as a great hero for his people. Geronimo's Great Great Grandson is still alive today.

Many thanks Will, I really appreciate the correction.

Bud

Here's a few more.........

Here's a gun for United States Army's 8th Cavalr Regiment, Officer Tom Rynning. Capt. Rynning's first battle was against the Cheyenne, and later was sent to Arizona to fight indians. Capt. Tom Rynning was present at the capture of Geronimo by Leonard Wood.

More of Capt. Rynning's story here. Story here.

Revolver Gun Revolver Material property Gun Revolver Trigger Metal Tool Wood

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
..... and a few more.

This one's all about Capt. Harry Wheeler, a famous Arizona Ranger. Here's a write up on him.

Longboard Surfboard Wood Skateboard Sports equipment Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory Revolver Material property Revolver

Now we're cookin'. Apparently it doesn't like to accept photos without any text. Strange, but ok by me now that I have it figured out.

Bud

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ross;

He surely does, and Jim Martin has been a master at what he does for a very long time now. Thank you also for your the kind words and well wishes Ross.

This past Sunday was a particularly bad day for me. I got up early, and as soon as my feet hit the floor I could hardly breathe. My wife, the beautiful, thoughtful sole that she is went up to get me a coffee and a Blueberry muffin from Timmies, (Tim Horton's) here and went over the the clinic to see if they were open. Well, not only were they open on Sunday, but there wasn't a soul in the place. She rushed home, helped me get dressed and boom, out the door we went.

To make a long story short, the doctor there (not my own), examined me, saw how labored my breathing was and wrote me a prescription for an inhaler. She said that should help until I get a Pulmonary Function test this week. Once I get that I can get on oxygen that will help with my condition.

Thanks to all your prayers and good thoughts, it looks like I'm going to be around here annoying you all for a while yet.

Many thanks to everyone here on the Colt Forum. I can only hope you know how much I appreciate every last one of you.

Bud

Great pics and stories Bud. Mr Martin truly creates works of art.
And good to see you up and about and posting again. Keep on a-getting better mate.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
A side note about these guns,all the brands are only Az. brands,the one on the bottom of the backstrap is the brand of Burt Mossmans ranch which was just a little East of Phx. it reads bar double O,he was the 1st captain of the Az. rangers,the other 2 names on the bckstrps were the most famous of the Az. ranger captains.I've actually had the pleasure of sitting in Wheelers original saddle that he rode when he was a ranger,I knew one of his grandddaughters.My granpa knew some of the Az. rangers when he came to Az in 1907 to the Yuma-Somerton area,I have the old Winchester he carried back then when he drove a stagecoach,its really seen a lot of use.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
In the first picture there is a brand near the front sight that looks like a wineglass. I worked on a ranch near Dilley, Tx in the early 1960s and we used that brand, only upside down.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Great thread posted here by Bud aka Matchlock before I siged up on C.F. on Jim Martin's Arizona Ranger Colts. Works of functional art!

Bumping it up so some other post 2013 Colt Forum Pard's can see it. I really enjoyed looking them over.

U/H

1 - 14 of 14 Posts