Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confess I am in over my head. I stupidly slid down the slope of disassembling my 1903, thinking that since I can (somehow) manage to detail strip and reassemble my 1911's I could do the same with my 1903. Boy was I wrong. I've spent the better part of a day and a half trying figure to do it, but I need a real gunsmith to do this right. I don't want to damage this little beauty by fooling with it myself. I've checked out all the websites I could find.Can anyone suggest a gunsmith?Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm in northwest Illinois, near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois meet. Thanks for the websites you guys mentioned. I've checked out both of those, and each was helpful, but still couldn't quite get me home. My ultimate problem lies with setting the hammer. I am real sure I've got the sear and ejector right, and the magazine catch; the leaf spring is placed right (can't hardly get that wrong, even me) and the main spring seems to be placed right. At that point I use a slave pin to close the grip safety over the main spring. All seems ok at that point. Here's where I hit a wall: I think I'm supposed to set the hammer next by pushing the hammer roller between the leaf of the main spring and the back of the grip safety, but when I try that there is no way to move it so I can get the holes line up so I can insert the safety (hammer pin). Like I say, I have gotten in way, way over my head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm in northwest Illinois, near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois meet. Thanks for the websites you guys mentioned. I've checked out both of those, and each was helpful, but still couldn't quite get me home. My ultimate problem lies with setting the hammer. I am real sure I've got the sear and ejector right, and the magazine catch; the leaf spring is placed right (can't hardly get that wrong, even me) and the main spring seems to be placed right. At that point I use a slave pin to close the grip safety over the main spring. All seems ok at that point. Here's where I hit a wall: I think I'm supposed to set the hammer next by pushing the hammer roller between the leaf of the main spring and the back of the grip safety, but when I try that there is no way to move it so I can get the holes line up so I can insert the safety (hammer pin). Like I say, I have gotten in way, way over my head. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Too bad. If you were just across the river from stl I would put it back together with you and show you the proper use of rubber bands as hands lol. Good luck sir

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Chaosrob. I'd really like to learn that from you. If I'm still stuck after a couple of weeks, I would gladly drive down your way to take you up on that if you think you could find the time to show me. I would be very grateful. I don't want to impose, but it is a fine little gun and it deserves proper recovery from my stupid mistake.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
you never know I may be up your way. I travel for a living so anything is possible. If you find yourself heading this way I will be more than happy to show you my process for assembly and dissasembly. If I find time I will have my project manager put together a detailed video and step by step manual of me doing so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Chaosrob. I'd sure like to learn this first-hand. I have a good friend in southern Illinois who has a nice collection he's promised to show me, so I could double-up the trip. Or if you do head this way, just let me know. But also - that video idea of yours could be REALLY valuable to a lot of guys because there just is not a good video on the complete disassembly/reassembly of a 1903 out there. It would be appreciated by many collectors.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I did that to my 1908M once - reinstalled the hammer in the wrong way - did my function checks; all safeties worked...until I chambered a round. Imagine my surprise when the gun tripled, without a finger on the trigger! Missed the sear spring completely.

I sent it to David Sams, of Sams Custom Gunworks in VA who went over the gun, reassembled it correctly, and sent it back. Now it only shoots on command!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I cannot reassemble a detail stripped 1903, either. It is that last step that foils me; the rest is easy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Somewhere I came across a post that helped me, maybe in another thread here. Anyway the trick involves the last step, installing the slide lock safety pin. What you need to do is squeeze the grip safety and trigger as though you are firing the gun, drop in the hammer and insert the slide lock safety pin. When I tried this trick however, I had to insert a punch from the right side to hold the hammer in place while I inserted the safety pin from the left pushing the punch out as I went. The punch helped because I could apply pressure to it in order to better align the hammer with the frame to get the pin started, once started the pin went right in. After reading about this trick I had my 1903 together in 15 min, that's after two hours struggling on my own. Patience, patience, and a side of patience. I'm just glad I won't have to do it again for a long time. Anyway, it worked for me hope it helps you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts