Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember that many, many, many years ago the opening "shots" for the beginning of the episodes were actually close ups of a SSA being cocked and fired.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else remember that?

I suppose that would never fly nowadays but it was sure cool 60(?) years ago.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
You may be confusing "Have Gun Will Travel" with "Gunsmoke". However in the original opening of Gunsmoke the camera was behind Matt's right hand looking over his Colt's grips down the street at Arvo O'jala, who was the actual adversary in the opening. Then he drew and fired. In "Have Gun Will Travel" the camera focused on the side of Paladin's holster and the Colt was drawn and then turned to point at the camera while he delivered his opening line. But you don't really see him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do remember the side shot of Paladin's holster, and wasn't there a chess piece on it?

But I thought I remembered a colt being cocked, the cylinder rotating and the gun firing, all from different angles.
Maybe some other western series?

Oh well...............old memories and all!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Gentlemen: Paladin did not carry a Colt. It was a "hand made Hamilton, with a 2 oz. trigger." That was his story and he was sticking to it!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I "think" (remember) (?) also the start of a western with the single action being fired. Not Have Gun Will Travel - he just drew and cocked the gun. I also thought it was Gunsmoke in the very first season - about 100 years ago.. maybe we're just getting old. I do know Matt went from standard stocks to stags later on. And also adopted more slicked up holster. And Kitty was a knock-out!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
JohnB is correct, I too remember the opening of Gunsmoke with closeups of a SAA being cocked and fired repeatedly, and this was before the face off between Matt and Arvo. I believe these were mid 1'st season but I distinctly remember them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I "think" (remember) (?) also the start of a western with the single action being fired. Not Have Gun Will Travel - he just drew and cocked the gun. I also thought it was Gunsmoke in the very first season - about 100 years ago.. maybe we're just getting old. I do know Matt went from standard stocks to stags later on. And also adopted more slicked up holster. And Kitty was a knock-out!
Yes she was. My personal favorite though was Miss Lily Merrill from the TV series "Lawman".

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Paladin - Richard Boone, speaking of which the following: "He joined the United States Navy in 1941 and served on three ships in the Pacific during World War II, seeing combat as an aviation ordnanceman, enlisted Naval Aircrewman and tail gunner on Grumman TBF Avenger torpedo bombers." The NYT obbit stated simply: "Mr. Boone began his acting career after he had spent four years in the Navy as an aerial gunner in World War I." (I think they meant WWII, but you know the NYT)

Newfound respect for the man. May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The opening of "COLT 45" features Wade Preston walking up on a boardwalk in front of a building, turning quickly and drawing his Colt, shooting six times.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I enjoy listening to the old westerns on the Radio Classics channel on XM. They sure use to ricochet a lot of bullets ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
They used a real Colt in Gunsmoke for Matt Dillon’s gun. We always thought it was a Great Western, but it was a Colt. The Colt Collectors Museum hosted the 200th Anniversary Show in Cody Wyoming and the guns from several TV shows like Bonanza were on display including the one James Arness used in Gunsmoke. They were all Colt’s. They were old and they all really beat up from being used as props.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
JohnB is correct, I too remember the opening of Gunsmoke with closeups of a SAA being cocked and fired repeatedly, and this was before the face off between Matt and Arvo. I believe these were mid 1'st season but I distinctly remember them.
Absolutely correct! The revolver filled the TV screen and there was a lot of smoke. Paladin's opening was different.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here is probably the only time that Matt Dillon had a Great Western in his hands, a photo shoot for the cover of a Dell comic book. I have a friend that is a major Great Western Arms collector and he talked to James Arness several years ago about his memory of the guns he used and he said that he only used Colts, mostly rented from Stembridge rental.

1074265.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts