Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently acquired this H&R Hammerless Bicycle Gun. In excellent condition with a blued finish (rather than the more common nickel finish), MOP grips and in .32 caliber it dates to 1914-15. These small frame bicycle guns were only made from 1899 to 1920. Intended for bicyclists to dispatch mad dogs that seem to have wandered the US countryside unabated at the time. In my experience, when riding a bicycle most dogs that I encountered seemed mad, perhaps they were jealous of my bipedal ability (or lack there of).

80BF27B1-CB42-4C3C-9013-F2836F6AE006.jpeg
F4C15154-50F1-402C-ACCC-F0AB73E87281.jpeg

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I recently acquired this H&R Hammerless Bicycle Gun. In excellent condition with a blued finish (rather than the more common nickel finish), MOP grips and in .32 caliber it dates to 1914-15. These small frame bicycle guns were only made from 1899 to 1920. Intended for bicyclists to dispatch mad dogs that seem to have wandered the US countryside unabated at the time. In my experience, when riding a bicycle most dogs that I encountered seemed mad, perhaps they were jealous of my bipedal ability (or lack there of).

View attachment 717108 View attachment 717109
Here are two Iver-Johnsons of a similar pattern, both 2" barrels, one 32 S&W (1st 4 pics) and the other a 38 S&W caliber (pics 5-8). The letter "O" SN prefix on the 32 indicates 1905 manufacture. The letter "J" SN prefix on the 38 indicates 1904 manufacture. The cylinder basically free wheels to the right until the trigger pull aligns one chamber with bore and fires the pistol. So unlike the more expensive S&W breaktop models, the cylinder is not kept in a locked position.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting question, over the years I have acquired many MOP grips. In recent times they have become more expensive. These grips came on the gun. If you look closely on one side you will see a pressure crack from tightening the grip screw less than carefully. H&R and other secondary brands don’t bring as much as a Colt or S&W pair, but can be harder to find and more difficult to find ones that fit a particular gun. Odds are you would have to buy grips for these guns without trying them and all of these grips look alike.

Reactions: Hootch56
1 - 4 of 4 Posts