Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after shopping for replacement 1903 stocks and not loving the idea of cnc machined repos I decided to use a little dark teak I had laying around and whipped myself up a homemade pair. They won't pass for factory quality but I like 'em better than what is available and I just couldn't beat the price!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:cool:Want 'em checkered :confused:
Me too, certainly out of my skill level though. Grips4u.net out of Boise Idaho has a type three-like grip that I really like. They're made from walnut, checkered, and with an cool looking ramant colt. But after realizing that they are done with a cnc machine it just didn't seem right on my 95 yo pistol especially considering that they are so perfect they almost look plastic. I bet they look cool with some wear and tear though.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Tex, I like those stocks, too. Very stylish & classy! I've been searching high & low for some nice repros for my vintage 1922 square-butt PPS. Any thoughts on making some of these for Forum members? Hmmmmm?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tex, I like those stocks, too. Very stylish & classy! I've been searching high & low for some nice repros for my vintage 1922 square-butt PPS. Any thoughts on making some of these for Forum members? Hmmmmm?
I'm flattered but I have to admit the pics don't properly represent the quality. These are great looking for a 5 hr homemade project but won't hold up to collector scrutiny. In fact they're not finished because I need a drill press to properly fit the escutcheons without ruining the whole stock. I guess what I'm saying is I need more practice and some better equipment.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I like them a lot. A personal touch well matched up with a legend.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like them a lot. A personal touch well matched up with a legend.
The personal touch aspect is the most important part for me. Even though the CNC repos look awesome they didn't exist 95 yeas ago. If I guy wanted new stocks, he mailed some dough to Colt or he made them himself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All! I'll post pics once they are fitted and finished. The second coat of Tung oil brought out more of the dark Teakwood tones so they will look nice. I hope the drilling goes well. If I do another pair I'll start that process when I have a flat surface to start the drillbit, they just want to walk on that smooth curve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
U need the bars in the back to hold them in place with the single screw. U might just glue M on and never take M off again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
U need the bars in the back to hold them in place with the single screw. U might just glue M on and never take M off again.
I guess pics of the backsides are in order. I tried to match the factory stocks in every way. They are 1/64" larger all around but closer than gov'mnt work.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts