Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't about a Colt, but if anybody knows much about this gun, it will probably be someone on this forum.

A buddy has an Interarms Virginian in .357Mag with a 4.75" barrel. It was made in Switzerland by Hammerli. The gun looks about new and appears to be a well made gun. He is looking to do some trading and I was wondering what people who might have owned one of these guns think about it.

If you've had one of these guns, some input would be appreciated. For trading urposes, I'm thinking a gun like this is worth somewhere in the vicinity of $350-400, am I close?

Thanks,

clang

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
That gun known as the "Deputy" came in a 5" barrel only. Rusty is correct in its pricing. I was never fond of any of those guns, as parts were near impossible. Though it's similar in appearance to a COLT SAA, I don't know if parts are interchangeable.

However The Blue Book of Misinformation has the following to offer:

"Virginian Revolvers were previously manufactured in Europe by various manufacturers (including Hämmerli of Switzerland). They were also manufactured in Midland, VA from 1976-1984. Older models with exceptional quality (including Hämmerli guns) are worth a premium over values listed."

I don't share that sentiment, but I'm spoiled.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hammerli Virginian, .45 Colt, 5.5" bbl. My first cartridge handgun! Love it! In fact, I just recently bought a new 3rd generation Colt SAA in part so I would stop putting wear on my collectible Hammerli!
They retailed for nearly the same price as the Colt SAA. That should tell you something right there....and sell, they did.

Anyhow, I have seen .357 7 1/2" barreled HAMMERLI Virginians go for $400-550 on gunbroker. That was before the economy took a dump, but I would think the 4 3/4" barrel would sell better than a 7 1/2".

I don't know what the "Deputy" is, but Kid is right that parts are hard to find. Unless parts from one of the other imports fit, I know only the springs can be made to fit from Colts.
Edit: According to Lee Martin on the linked thread, the "Deputy" was a version of the Virginian DRAGOON.

Beautiful and very well made by a manufacturer who made guns for Olympic shooters. Hard to go wrong. Manufactured from 1973-1976. Nearly everyone confuses it with the later Interarms Virginian DRAGOON. They are not the same gun at all.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Peace, that's a fine looking pistol, for sure. I looked around for Hammerli and find that most who have owned one really like them.
The stuff now that you see by Hammerli seems to be mostly precision competition guns, which you would think would require a great deal of quality in manufacture.
The prices for SAA's I saw (mostly in .357), were in the three to four hundred dollar range. Not a bad price for something that isn't Italian.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gentlemen,
Especially kcub for the link, and Peacemaker for the 1st hand assessment. I was very impressed with the gun on my initial viewing, so if I can make a good trade on it, I think I will pick it up.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Not a bad price for something that isn't Italian.[/QUOTE]
AAAAAAHHHHHH....but it is an spagetti gun as all the parts were made in Italy, then finished, fitted, and assembled in Switzerland. [THEY WILL LIE TO YOU ABOUT THIS...]
This is a LOT more common than many believe. COLT will still lie to you and tell you the new generation of COLT C&b pistols of twenty years ago were all made by COLT and are so marked. NONE were made by COLT perse', all parts were made in Italy and shipped over here for finishing,fitting, assembly. There is no denying their innate quality though.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
you no like an italian gun? i hear beretta does pretty well. a lot of u.s. soldiers in iraq and afghanistan carry them instead of colts, i hear.

ciao...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
AAAAAAHHHHHH....but it is an spagetti gun as all the parts were made in Italy, then finished, fitted, and assembled in Switzerland. [THEY WILL LIE TO YOU ABOUT THIS...]
Do you know this for a fact about the Hammerli Virginian? Any documentation? It could be nice if it was true because that would mean some of the Italian parts would fit. But, the frame and gripframe are not like any Italian SAA reproduction that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
We may never know whom made parts for who. With Pietta, Armi San Marco, Beretta and Uberti (now one in the same as Beretta), all making guns.

Even the early guns, that were imported and/or sold by EM & F, the predecessor to EMF, Had Colt SAA's, that were fitted with various parts including Christie's. They are are all Clones or parts guns, thus they will never have the value of the Original Colt's. ( hate being a purists) ;)

Bottom line, is if the Collector Market feels it's all one company, then so be it.
We all take our turn on the carousel of life grabbing for the brass ring!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
bagged my bear behind hounds up in maine a couple years ago with a rifle beretta made in 1938 for the imperial japanese marines. kind of a mannlicher with a mauser magazine and chambered for 6.5 arisaka. basically a sashimi gnocci kind of deal. also carried my .41 new navy from 1897.

and i didn't feel undergunned, though the kid guides gave me a sideways look.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is a LOT more common than many believe. COLT will still lie to you and tell you the new generation of COLT C&b pistols of twenty years ago were all made by COLT and are so marked. NONE were made by COLT perse', all parts were made in Italy and shipped over here for finishing,fitting, assembly. There is no denying their innate quality though.
The real truth to the matter is...all Colts after about 1866 were made in Italy, absolutely...everyone knows that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We may never know whom made parts for who. With Pietta, Armi San Marco, Beretta and Uberti (now one in the same as Beretta), all making guns.

Even the early guns, that were imported and/or sold by EM & F, the predecessor to EMF, Had Colt SAA's, that were fitted with various parts including Christie's. They are are all Clones or parts guns, thus they will never have the value of the Original Colt's. ( hate being a purists) ;)

Bottom line, is if the Collector Market feels it's all one company, then so be it.
We all take our turn on the carousel of life grabbing for the brass ring!
I think the only way to know is to have a gun that was built when Custer was still alive...after that, who knows?

·
Registered
438 Posts
you no like an italian gun? i hear beretta does pretty well. a lot of u.s. soldiers in iraq and afghanistan carry them instead of colts, i hear.

ciao...
No, Mike, I don't have a problem with Italian guns, for the most part. Just replicas, and I can't even really qualify that. I had a couple of .36 Navy's that stretched the frames so badly that the hammer wouldn't strike the caps. I'd actually like to have a New Army .44 to play around with but don't want a wall hanger after a few hundred rounds. 'Course I can't yet afford a real Colt and probably wouldn't shoot it as much as I would like to, anyway.
I somehow can't believe that your standard Uberti is, quality-wise, on par with the Colt replicas from the seventies, but then I don't really know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts