Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who have experience in stretching Colt hands(Python Police Positive Etc.)
Do you have any tips for a novice?
I have Jerrys book.
I have read that it is possible to use a vice to stretch the hand?
Thanks (Has anyone made a video on this process?)

Is there anyone I could send my hand to and have them stretch it (I will pay of course)
Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Vice won't work. I use a heavy steel block as an anvil and a large cold chisel that I have ground the tip on. Works very well, every so often I surface grind the anvil to make it smooth again.
Geichal

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
You need a steel bench block on a FIRM surface. A totally solid bench or a concrete floor works. You want no bouncing or give.

The chisel needs to be ground flat on the face, then the edges need to be lightly rounded and the entire face needs to be polished.

Put a sheet of paper on the bench block to protect the hand while stretching.

A good type of hammer to use is a small dead blow hammer.

How hard to hit is a judgment call based on experience. Tap too lightly and the hand may work-harden and shatter before it stretches.
Hit too hard and it may just break.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I watched a buddy do it in a vise using an old Sharps rifle barrel that was damaged in a fire as a "cheater" bar. She sure streeeeeetttccchhheeeeddddd!! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.