Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine and I are thinking of trading handguns. We are residents of two different states. Can we simply do the swap without any paperwork and without running afoul of federal laws, or do we have to use (and pay) FFL's in two different states? TIA.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Federal law requires that interstate transfer of firearms must go through an FFL dealer. There is no difference between sale, trade, gift or inheritance.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Federal law requires that interstate transfer of firearms must go through an FFL dealer. There is no difference between sale, trade, gift or inheritance.

- - -Buckspen
Do you know if we can do it with just one FFL, or do we have to use two?

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Gee......
so if you were to move to a different state and you have your equipment with you and establish residency, then FTF would be ok. I s'pose......
Seems like a lot of red tape.
I got no problem with keeping the FFLs in business, tho'.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I really want to say something here, but will keep my mouth shut for the time being. Yes, by all means stay within the law and give the dealers their cut of what is nobody's business but yours....

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
You have to use two FFL's one in each state in order to stay within the law.If the other party were here and he/she had possession of a gun without a papertrail the powers that be would probably arrest him/her for illegal handgun possession and they would be screwed BIGTIME.Here you are only licensed to have the handguns ON YOUR LICENSE.They have to be held by the FFL,a ammendment form needs to be filed,the gun needs to be recorded on your license,a Judge has to sign a purchase coupon,both items have to be bought to the FFL,and the NCIC Check has to be run BEFORE YOU CAN TAKE IT HOME.The only FTF sales that occur here with handguns are from the trunk of a car supplying the many illegal guns the crimials have.JMHO.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You did not mention which states are involved. In most states you DO NOT need the FFL to ship a handgun. Under federal law, the FFL is required only on the RECEIVING end. FFL to ship is only required in the very few states with unreasonable restrictions that go beyond federal requirements. The only benefit to having it shipped by an FFL is the possibility of obtaining a cheaper USPS shipping rate not available to non FFLs who must use higher priced common carriers...UPS, FedEx, etc.
That said...I would probably drive over to the friend's house for a nice weekend visit to share a few beers and swap stories, among other things.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You did not mention which states are involved. In most states you DO NOT need the FFL to ship a handgun. Under federal law, the FFL is required only on the RECEIVING end. FFL to ship is only required in the very few states with unreasonable restrictions that go beyond federal requirements. The only benefit to having it shipped by an FFL is the possibility of obtaining a cheaper USPS shipping rate not available to non FFLs who must use higher priced common carriers...UPS, FedEx, etc.
That said...I would probably drive over to the friend's house for a nice weekend visit to share a few beers and swap stories, among other things.
That's the correct answer, right there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts